DVD connections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alan

Reaction score
Does anyone know where/what DVD connectors are up in the headliner area for non-factory DVD option cars?

I assume there is a harness routed up there somewhere? is it usually plugged into the head unit?

Incidentally I have the power moonroof so there isn't as much room... I may end up looking at seat back/headrest monitors and a player in the console area...

In this case how easy is it to pull the Radio/CD changer and route a cable from the back? (I have the premium 6disc audio with the AUX function but that is currently disabled/disconnected).

I'd also like to be able to use this same input for an iPod direct feed (probably just unplug the DVD cable for this use) anyone done any of these - know what connector is needed or where to get one?

Thanks,
Alan

Mrrairai

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I don't think there are any connectors in the headliner because if you have the dealer put it in the way they run the wires is terrible.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having just put in a 12" monitor and a Blaupunkt DVD/TV player, I know for a certain fact that there is NO factory wiring up there.

OP
OP
A

Alan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

How did you make the connection to the head unit assuming you wired this yourself - is the AUX input a standard connectorof some kind? is there an unused tail in there already... (surely not?)

Anyway - how do I pull the factory head unit out ? to check for myself

thanks!

Alan

Mrrairai

Reaction score
If I were you I would go with a whole new head unit that's capable of handling all of that. That's just my opinion. I have a bias against stock head units!!!! They suck!!

As far as pulling the unit out. Fords are simple. (Well I don't know about the new ones) But if you look at your radio you should have 2 holes on each side of the unit. Just take 2 U-shaped objects (Perferably one of those old wire clothes hanger and bend it into a U) and stick that in the holes and the radio will unlock and slide out.

OP
OP
A

Alan

Reaction score
Well i'm familiar with the 2 hole & puller U thingy -but these new radios don;t have that style access....

The head unit does support 1 Aux input but I have no idea how to connect to it - based on some reasearch it seems it may be an all digital bus style connect that wil require an interface of some kind to even get to an iPod. The upside is that you can control the iPod transport but the interfaces I've seen are > 1/2 the cost of the iPod ugg expensive

Alan