Ecoboost rear muffler/resonator removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACE 71

Reaction score
Hi Guys- Just brought home my 4th Expedition yesterday, 2017 limited 4x4. Looking to remove the hideous secondary muffler hanging below the rear bumper, and just run a straight pipe. Has anyone done this? Any affect on sound or performance? Thanks much! -Aaron

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Interested as well. Not a fan of how it sticks out like a sore thumb

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Hi Guys- Just brought home my 4th Expedition yesterday, 2017 limited 4x4. Looking to remove the hideous secondary muffler hanging below the rear bumper, and just run a straight pipe. Has anyone done this? Any affect on sound or performance? Thanks much! -Aaron
You going for more of the f150 look with just the pipe and exhaust tip visible?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think removing it will provide any performance gains but it certainly wont hurt it. My guess is you'd probably gain a little more sound by removing it

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven’t done it yet. I went the other way and removed that giant box muffler under the truck and replaced it with a Stainless Works straight-thru first.
Based on that, my truck is louder outside, but is still drone-free, and if you have the radio on at all you can’t hear the exhaust note. Still seems quieter than my wife’s Platinum with that ridiculous artificial engine noise being pumped in. I’m rather deaf, so I don’t entirely trust my auditory senses.
Not sure about performance gains, it’s difficult to tell with the EB.
I’d guess you wouldn’t even notice it’s gone as quiet as the Expedition is inside.
I’d probably kick it out the side rather than straight back if I ever remove mine. But Magnaflow says they are developing an exhaust for the EL finally, so I’ll probably go that route once it’s released.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think removing it will provide any performance gains but it certainly wont hurt it. My guess is you'd probably gain a little more sound by removing it

It could.

Turbo engines with EGRs make for some pretty complex ECU math based largely on back pressure

Also on some modern turbo engines with multiple "muffler" setups, the last one by the exhaust pipe primarily functions to fabricate an aesthetic engine note, ditching it might make the engine unusually QUIET and softspoken

OP
OP
A

ACE 71

Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts- I’m totally fine with slightly louder or quieter, would love to know if there would be any issues with EGR, ECU. I’m hoping someone who has removed this could verify before I remove the eyesore. This must be a common mod. Allboost-yes a simple pipe and 3” chrome tip to the side is preferred!

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually scraped mine on a high curb backing into a parking spot once. I’d love to ditch it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts- I’m totally fine with slightly louder or quieter, would love to know if there would be any issues with EGR, ECU. I’m hoping someone who has removed this could verify before I remove the eyesore. This must be a common mod. Allboost-yes a simple pipe and 3” chrome tip to the side is preferred!

Lol and I totally hate my puny rusty simple 2.75" pipe

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could.

Turbo engines with EGRs make for some pretty complex ECU math based largely on back pressure

That is complete BS. The 3.5 Ecoboost doesn’t use an EGR it uses VCT.

OP you’ll be fine removing that muffler if you want

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze