Ecoboost rear muffler/resonator removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That rear resonator is attached behind the rear tire with a slip joint too. You could probably just buy a 3” ID 45-degree bend from Summit or Jegs and reuse the factory clamp to mount it. Throw a tip on it and you’re done.
Factory tubing behind the 2-bolt flange where it meets the down pipe is all 3” OD.

Michael McC

Reaction score
When someone actually does this (replace muffler with pipe) please post the exact specs of what you did, and an objective report of the changes (sound, etc.). I agree. That muffler looks stupid. I figured it was important enough to the engineers or government regulators that the aesthetic design team lost the battle.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to do this sooner rather than later..except the pesky 6” is snow on the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My issue with it sitting out the back is not aesthetic or sound, but gasses. Warming the car after being at a sporting event, loading up stuff in the back, the whole time the fumes are going in the cabin. You can smell it. Just not a good design.

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My issue with it sitting out the back is not aesthetic or sound, but gasses. Warming the car after being at a sporting event, loading up stuff in the back, the whole time the fumes are going in the cabin. You can smell it. Just not a good design.
I haven’t noticed the smell because my other vehicle is a 94 C1500 350 with no cats. LOL now that one stinks and burns your eyes.
But I ONLY drive it off road. :angels2:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And when I have it sitting in the driveway running if the garage door is open if fills the garage with exhaust and the furnace is in the garage so I'm sure some of it will get in house too. Out the side is better.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And when I have it sitting in the driveway running if the garage door is open if fills the garage with exhaust and the furnace is in the garage so I'm sure some of it will get in house too. Out the side is better.

Exhausting out the side or the back is quite safe, even when the odor is noticeable in the cabin. The danger from CO and CO2 occurs when those gasses accumulate in a confined space and begin to displace oxygen. In an open garage or with the rear hatch open, some exhaust will enter the habitable space, but it mixes with ambient air and is diluted sufficiently to be non-hazardous. That doesn't mean you're not inhaling it, just that the air you inhale doesn't have a hazardous concentration of CO or CO2. If you've ever stood beside a campfire and breathed in that wonderful smoke, you actually poisoned yourself a lot more than you would standing next to a exhaust pipe. CO and CO2 are produced by incomplete combustion of a carbon fuel. There isn't much worse for incomplete combustion than a campfire. Gasoline in an internal combustion engine burns pretty clean now (the EPA has seen to that) compared to that 1965 500ci smoker we all wish for...

And if you notice a really sharp rotten egg smell....your cats are bad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01