electronic locker problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For clarity. There is NO Locker in the 4th Gen Expeditions. It is a simulated locker. If you have the ELSD(Electronic Limited Slip Differential), there is a lock button, but it is a simulated lock via electronically actuated clutches. The F150/F250 ELocker is actually a pin locker.
I wish i had a dollar for every time you have posted that comment.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding of the way this rear "locker" works is that it needs a constant voltage to "lock". It would seem odd that this could happen. Usually, when this type of thing goes bad it just stops working. I think this would be hard to diagnose if the issue isn't happening at the time of inspection. If somehow voltage were getting into the wires when the button isn't pressed you could see that with a meter when the issue was occurring.
Is it possible it isn't a locker issue and maybe a brake issue? A stuck caliper causing the drag?
The locker button isn’t a direct connection. I believe all of the control is through CAN messages to a differential control module. If there was a problem with the button, I would expect there to be a message on the display showing locker engaged.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish i had a dollar for every time you have posted that comment.
Yep. Understanding the functional difference in it is important. In normal day to day the ELSD is a much better solution than the Pin Locker in the 150/250. Simply because it is dynamic and most of the time very seamless.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The locker button isn’t a direct connection. I believe all of the control is through CAN messages to a differential control module. If there was a problem with the button, I would expect there to be a message on the display showing locker engaged.
Completely agree. Yes, there is a separate module that actively controls it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Did this EXACT same shuddering on tight turns at 15,000 miles. They found the rear locker to be faulty and replaced it. The shudder immediately went away. I'm at 50,000 miles and the shudder is starting again, so they'll replace it again.

The mechanic explained it to me that when they shudder like this, its the "locking pin" not retracted all the way and its jumping over the edges of the locking cogs, so that's why it shudders. It starts out very slight and then it starts locking up one rear tire on sharp turns. Mine was pretty entertaining, it would lay rubber on tight turns in parking lots. I waited until it was completely junk so they replaced it, because the first time I took it in for the shudder they said it was nothing to worry about. When it was locking up the inside tire they decided it was time to replace it. lol

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 2018 Did this EXACT same shuddering on tight turns at 15,000 miles. They found the rear locker to be faulty and replaced it. The shudder immediately went away. I'm at 50,000 miles and the shudder is starting again, so they'll replace it again.

The mechanic explained it to me that when they shudder like this, its the "locking pin" not retracted all the way and its jumping over the edges of the locking cogs, so that's why it shudders. It starts out very slight and then it starts locking up one rear tire on sharp turns. Mine was pretty entertaining, it would lay rubber on tight turns in parking lots. I waited until it was completely junk so they replaced it, because the first time I took it in for the shudder they said it was nothing to worry about. When it was locking up the inside tire they decided it was time to replace it. lol
Your mechanic is Completely and TOTALY full of S! There is NO locking pin in the Expeditions ELSD. The F150 and 250, yes. The Expedition‘s “Lock” mode for the ELSD is just both clutches engaged at the same time. Again, there is NO pin.

Now the solution of just replacing it could be completely valid, but the explanation is complete BS.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your mechanic is Completely and TOTALY full of S! There is NO locking pin in the Expeditions ELSD. The F150 and 250, yes. The Expedition‘s “Lock” mode for the ELSD is just both clutches engaged at the same time. Again, there is NO pin.

Now the solution of just replacing it could be completely valid, but the explanation is complete BS.
I'm curious where your knowledge of this is from? I don't doubt any of it, but I'm curious.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 with 86k mikes exhibited some shudder, most noticiable when backing out of my driveway. One time I drove forward up an incline while turning in a parking lot and it was the most severe. I immediately stopped, put car in neutral and coasted backwards a little before resuming in drive again. Reported to dealer who could not duplicate. Had them replace rear diff oil. Let’s see what happens.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm curious where your knowledge of this is from? I don't doubt any of it, but I'm curious.
Sorry for the delayed response, I don't get on here as much as I used to.

Lots of reading, 20+ years of experience messing with cars, including off roaders and race cars.

I make an effort to understand all of the systems in a vehicle when I buy or are preparing to buy them. I think the Eaton built ELSD is one of the best things out there.

The biggest thing to realize is it is clutch based, not a positive lock like the E-Locker found in the 150/250. In extreme traction situations, like off road the ELSD can get over heated. On road, and in light off roading, it is superior to the E-Locker, because it can send torque where it is needed. The E-Locker is a positive engagement, and is a true lock, 50/50 between the rear wheels. When the ELSD is in "Lock" mode there is still the possibility of slip side to side, because again, clutch based, and requires application torque to maintain that "lock".