Engine light flashes for 15 seconds ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAPARAZZI

Reaction score
I have a 2005 ford expedition v8 5.4l with 115,000 miles,,,

i have changed the motor oil
i have changed the transmission fluid
i had a fuel injection clean

when i floor the gas pedal getting on the fwy the engine picture flashes for about 15 seconds an then it turn's off,, it's done it twice this week,, sometimes when i am driving on the fwy an i try to speed up, the exp feels like if the gas is running out, it studder's a little an the it goes away

this has never happend before,,,,,

i will be changing the fuel filter tomorrow, this will be the first time i due it,,,,

i am freaking out, i have never had a problem with my exp before

please help

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think if you count the flashes and pauses, you can look up the trouble code. or just take it by Autozone or something like that and they should be able to pull the trouble code.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could have a crack in one of your COP's and when it arcs it is causing the problem. that would also give you that shutter problem and loss of power. i had a similar problem in my 98 expy and it turned out to be a bad COP.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely a missfire. Had it happen to me a couple of months ago. Go to Autozone, Advance Auto, or whatever is close to you and find out which code is thrown. P301 would be cylinder #1, P302 would be #2, and so on. Could be a plug or Coil Pack. You are due for a plug change at 100K though.

Word of caution....If your plugs haven't been changed before, they will be a #@!!!@# to get out at your mileage. Don't force them as they will likely break and then you have to get a broken plug removal tool.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I'd still change out the fuel filter. It's probably past due.

But yea, have fun with those plugs :) I posted the TSB somewhere on here. If you aren't going to do it yourself, make sure that where you take it knows about the TSB, or else things could get expensive real quick.

OP
OP
P

PAPARAZZI

Reaction score
Definitely a missfire. Had it happen to me a couple of months ago. Go to Autozone, Advance Auto, or whatever is close to you and find out which code is thrown. P301 would be cylinder #1, P302 would be #2, and so on. Could be a plug or Coil Pack. You are due for a plug change at 100K though.

Word of caution....If your plugs haven't been changed before, they will be a #@!!!@# to get out at your mileage. Don't force them as they will likely break and then you have to get a broken plug removal tool.
So when i take my car to autozone i ask them if they can run the scanner to see whats wrong with it,,,, how much is that

blacklow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they check it at autozone for free as long as u have the CEL ON. it has to do with your spark plugs or coil pack cause thats what mine does when it wants a spark plug change. its a misfire like everyone says

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yup, misfire. but the problem, like blacklow said, is they cant pinpoint it if the light isnt on. it sounds like you are on the verge of cop/plug fowl. then the light will stay on till you fix it.