Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

53Marine

Reaction score
I currently own a 2005 XLT with the 5.4L Triton. I had just replaced the transmission when my engine went out.

Other than that, the vehicle had never given me any trouble. It was dependable, fun to drive and more than anything else it was comfortable.

I have looked into replacement costs for the engine, and they are all pretty steep. Right now I am trying to locate a suitable used engine to use as a replacement. Nothing seems to match and I am having trouble finding out what other years of engines might be a viable option as a replacement.

So, with that background, is there any location/chart, etc... that can tell me what years are compatible substitutions? Or does anyone know, if I can use another year engine?

Right now, I have someone with a 2002 4.6L engine expedition that I can get for a few hundred dollars. Its engine is running but the transmission is shot. I know I would loose out on the hp end of the spectrum by going to a smaller engine but at this point I just want it back on the road. It has already sat in an inoperative state longer than I care and I would like to prevent more from going bad due to disuse.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to thank you for your time in advance.

Regards,

Harold

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going from a 2005 5.4l to a 2002 4.6l will be a shit show.

Different body styles, transmissions he will have the 4r70w, and you should have the 4r75e. You'd need his ECU/PCM and harness to control his engine which wouldn't connect or control your transmission, nor would your harness and ECU/PCM control his engine. Let's not even talk about the PATS mess of that.

Sorry to be a downer Harold. Your best bet is to look for a 24v 5.4l out of a 05-06 Expedition, or a F-150.

It does need to be a 24V or you will have computer issues.

You could get away with a 05-06 Expedition with a 4.6L, but you'd need to take the engine, harness, ECU/PCM, ignition cylinder and cluster to make the PATS talk to itself and start the engine.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What seems to be the problem with the engine?

I'm doing an engine swap myself, but that's because I'm an idiot and I like making work for myself.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe only the 04 F150 and 05 F150/ Expedition are a drop in fit. Their not cheap, unless you have a pick and pull or equivalent to pluck your own. Our friend Habbibie put in a 04 in his 05. Most wreckers have a interchange chart on their computer.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong as I'm just quoting wikipedia on the years, it said the 04 5.4L engines are 16V, and the 05 forward got the 24V.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's true for the Expedition, but the F150 got the 24 valve mill a year earlier in 04. That's why Habbibie put in a 04 in his, it was out of a pickup.

OP
OP

53Marine

Reaction score
THANKS! I really appreciate the quick, informative responses that I have received. You gave me the exact information I needed at this moment in time.!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with *****, don't change horses in middle of stream. You might depending on your mileage and problem tear into your motor. 05's do have the most problems with oiling, and cam phasers. Either way you go, stay with a 05 motor one that doesn't require a bunch of retuning, and wire harness/computer swapping. Life's too short to be chasing your tail after R&R ing a motor.