Expedition acting up......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlechner

Reaction score
Hello all! I am having a problem with my 2007 Eddie Bauer. Sometimes when I am driving I feel a hesitation/stutter in the car. It only happens when I am driving between 40-60 mph. If I give it more gas and accelerate it goes away and becomes smooth, almost like it's a gear issue. The rpm gauges stays consistent when it is happening as well. Any ideas that could point me in the right direction?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

How many miles do you have on your expedition. Can you give us an idea of service history? Have your changed plugs, COPs etc. If you have a code reader, check and see if your Expedition have thrown any codes so we just don't start guessing.

OP
OP
R

Rlechner

Reaction score
114k miles, no codes/lights are being set off. Service history has everything on time when scheduled. Nothing has been done to remedy it because I am unsure of where to start looking.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you actually connected a code reader to check because some codes are logged but not reported or trip anything on the dash. Have you changed spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter transmission fluid, front and rear differential fluid,friction modifier added etc.? It almost sounds like a mid-range miss. Do you know what the RPM is when it happens? 1600 - 2000 RPMs?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a wild guess, but it sounds like your torque converter is in the early stages of producing the "rumble strip" sensation. This is caused by the friction modifier in the tranny fluid wearing out, and the clutches in the TC can't 'get a grip' and cycles on and off rapidly...giving the rumble strip feeling.

If you've never changed the transmission fluid, go ahead and do that.

Fred Valdez

Reaction score
When was last time the plugs were changed...I just recently had what i thought was a gear hunting issue...only happens at speed, not from the git-go...thought it could be something to do with tranny or torque verter...after research I decided to swap new plugs in (coils would have been next to do...)... but after the swap my espy runs nice and smooth throughout the rpm range..no hunting or hesitation...just might drop in some fuel injector cleaner to follow up...

vintageman

Reaction score
Change the spark plugs and while you are at it, buy new boots and springs for the coil packs and change them as well. I have been around these 5.4 triton engines for a while and have seen and had the same problem. Chances are it is only the plugs but the coil boots and springs are cheap and can produce an issue that most will think its the coil pack. I have had a 99 expy with the 5.4 2v, a 2010 expy with the 5.4 3v and still have my 04 F150 with the 5.4 3v engines and when having the notorious misfire between 40 and 50 miles per hour, a plug/boot/spring change has fixed it every time. I too thought it felt like the rear end or transmission. On your engine, it should only take about 2-3 hours for the work, not sure on the plug number, think it is SP 515 for motorcraft plugs but the parts store will get the right number for you. Also, these engines like the motorcraft plugs best and if they have never been changed, rent the extraction tool just in case you still have the 2 piece plugs that like to break off. Spray a little penetrating fluid in the plug holes and let sit for just a little while before trying to take them out, it will help.
Good luck
Tom

Mikep01

Reaction score
I'd start with plugs and boots, 60k service interval, you close enough. But check for codes first. Mine exhibited an intermittent miss that sisnt flag a code and I though it was trans concern. After changing plugs it was resolved.

nubia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change the spark plugs and while you are at it, buy new boots and springs for the coil packs and change them as well. I have been around these 5.4 triton engines for a while and have seen and had the same problem. Chances are it is only the plugs but the coil boots and springs are cheap and can produce an issue that most will think its the coil pack. I have had a 99 expy with the 5.4 2v, a 2010 expy with the 5.4 3v and still have my 04 F150 with the 5.4 3v engines and when having the notorious misfire between 40 and 50 miles per hour, a plug/boot/spring change has fixed it every time. I too thought it felt like the rear end or transmission. On your engine, it should only take about 2-3 hours for the work, not sure on the plug number, think it is SP 515 for motorcraft plugs but the parts store will get the right number for you. Also, these engines like the motorcraft plugs best and if they have never been changed, rent the extraction tool just in case you still have the 2 piece plugs that like to break off. Spray a little penetrating fluid in the plug holes and let sit for just a little while before trying to take them out, it will help.
Good luck
Tom
I'm going through this very same issue with the exact same symptoms. Do you have the part number for just the boots and springs? I'd like to purchase them on Amazon. I have an 08 expedition. I've had several models since they first came out (1st generation through 3rd) love these!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start with plugs and boots, 60k service interval, you close enough. But check for codes first. Mine exhibited an intermittent miss that sisnt flag a code and I though it was trans concern. After changing plugs it was resolved.
The service interval for the 2007 Expedition is 100,000 miles for spark plugs.
Service interval - spark plugs.JPG

Last edited: