Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t disagree (though if I put any stock in CR I’d be driving a Camry) With sales of 30,000 units annually GMs laughing all the way to the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find CR to be very helpful. I read their reports carefully and decide for myself if their feedback reflects what's important to me. They have consistently rated the Expy ahead of the GM stuff, and my experience is in agreement. No way I could buy a GM, despite their large market share. It just proves that most buyers don't know much about cars.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find CR to be very helpful. I read their reports carefully and decide for myself if their feedback reflects what's important to me. They have consistently rated the Expy ahead of the GM stuff, and my experience is in agreement. No way I could buy a GM, despite their large market share. It just proves that most buyers don't know much about cars.

GM sells exponentially more vehicles, year after year, because people are dumb?

Ok. Gonna have to go ahead and agree to disagree there lol.

I like Consumer reports for soulless things like washers and weed trimmers. I stick to car magazines and my own test drives when deciding on vehicles. To each their own though. (Btw, the brand new navigator is rated 65 and the 5 year old Tahoe is rated 64).

Curious, have you ever owned a GM?

Last edited:

yockmyer

Reaction score
I'll sleep better tonight knowing this thus far informative thread will not degrade into a Ford vs GM ******* contest. G'night all.....

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll sleep better tonight knowing this thus far informative thread will not degrade into a Ford vs GM ******* contest. G'night all.....

Lol. Yeah it’s nuts. The guys on the GM forums are even worse from what I’ve seen.

PROTECT THE QUEEN!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davew72

Reaction score
I for one hate the six and 10 speed transmissions. These are going to be big money when they fail and you have to get a rebuild in the future. I don't believe in putting that kind of money into Vehicles. Some people only keep them three to five years and they're under warranty and they don't have to worry about it. Other people like me don't buy their until they're 10-15 years old in the first place and sometimes those repairs have already been performed. Others by the new and keep them 10 plus years and get stuck paying the repair bills. Now, when those machines have been around for 15 years and I can get a 10-speed transmission from the salvage yard for under $300 then I will consider only one. For now, I will stick with a 4-speed Auto like a for our 100 or 4r 75w.
I can buy 10 of those tomorrow from anywhere from a hundred fifty bucks to 375.
So a 10-speed transmission is not a plus feature for me it's a big negative.
I will definitely agree with the leather being the worst quality in the GM SUVs. The Cadillac cars have higher quality but the SUVs are the worst in the industry. Ford SUVs are not quite as good as Town Cars either. The 98 and Up town car has the best leather of any of the Town Cars.
A similar year Navigator is nowhere near even as big or as much leather on the seats and it is much thinner and starts to crack and we're through faster but it still Outlast AGM by twice as long if not three times as long. Mustangs have a terrible quality of leather too in the past.

One of the main reasons I chose a navigator when looking for a used SUV was because you just can't find a GM without at least the driver seat destroyed. Also, it's very hard to find black leather in them. Even the black exterior ones almost always have gray or tan. I won't have that color interior. I found a super nice one A Car Lot had up the street from me and I called just to be nosey to ask what color interior. I told him it had to have black because if it didn't have black I didn't care if it was $1,500 I didn't want it. He called me back and was joking with me that it was $2,500 but it had tan interior. Needless to say I didn't even go look at it. I considered buying one and swapping it all over or buying new covers but that's just too much of a hassle so I bought a navigator the black leather.

Dont be skeered bro, its all repairable.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I should just face the fact that driving and owning a big SUV means willing to part with enough money to fix the thing when it breaks. I don't like the unnecessary technology, but the problems it brings with it are none that money can't solve.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
15 pages to the EXPEDITION ALTERNATIVE thread and not one wise-guy recommended a Navigator.

Navigator.

It rates just 65 points, almost $90K. The Expy Max rates 73, mine was $58.5K out the door, tax, license, etc. And my seats are more comfortable, if you believe CR.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM sells exponentially more vehicles, year after year, because people are dumb?

Ok. Gonna have to go ahead and agree to disagree there lol.

I like Consumer reports for soulless things like washers and weed trimmers. I stick to car magazines and my own test drives when deciding on vehicles. To each their own though. (Btw, the brand new navigator is rated 65 and the 5 year old Tahoe is rated 64).

Curious, have you ever owned a GM?

I had a Corvette and a Buick Park Avenue Ultra. That was enough. If I thought the GM was better, I'd have bought one. The only objective source we have is CR. They say the Expedition is the better vehicle and I agree. Buy and drive what you like. I did.

And yes, people are dumb. If you doubt this, how do you explain Trump?