Expedition merging on highway falls on its face and there's no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This morning I was coming around a bend to merge on to the highway and the truck just cut power. I was on the throttle and the wrench light came on and I had nothing. I pulled to the side and the car was acting like it had a really bad miss. I quickly shut it off. I looked up the wrench symbol "online" and it said it's usually for a 4wd fault or failure. I tried to start the truck and it started up like nothing was wrong. I drove to work and plugged in my computer and there's no code anywhere.

Any thoughts? Was this a momentary glitch?
*I should note that on August 8th I hit a concrete block doing about 35mph and it bent the cross member and dented the crossover on the down pipe for the turbos. Its not pinched off but it is very dented. I have a new one on order.

I have about 103k on it now. I've owned the truck since 30k miles. I replaced the coil packs, plugs and intake about 10k ago. No issues till now.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like what mine did when the TB was sticking. I'll bet if you cold pull the code before restarting it you'll get P2112

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This morning I was coming around a bend to merge on to the highway and the truck just cut power. I was on the throttle and the wrench light came on and I had nothing. I pulled to the side and the car was acting like it had a really bad miss. I quickly shut it off. I looked up the wrench symbol "online" and it said it's usually for a 4wd fault or failure. I tried to start the truck and it started up like nothing was wrong. I drove to work and plugged in my computer and there's no code anywhere.

*I should note that on August 8th I hit a concrete block doing about 35mph and it bent the cross member and dented the crossover on the down pipe for the turbos. Its not pinched off but it is very dented. I have a new one on order.

I have about 103k on it now. I've owned the truck since 30k miles. I replaced the coil packs, plugs and intake about 10k ago. No issues till now.
Nope that’s an electronic throttle body issue. Same thing happened on my 16 2 years ago. Warranty replacement solved issue. You need to take it back ASAP before you hurt your truck

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup slap a new TB on it.
Like $120. Easy swap one of the bolts is a little tricky to get to but silly to pay someone to do it.

OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought the Jet Performance throttle body. I have read about the Dorman and the stock ones prematurely failing. I don't want to get stranded on the road.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some code readers are evidently better than others. The lesser expensive ones (like I have from ebay, $12.99) are decent, but the better ones ($350 Bosch for example that O'Reillys loaned me) get historical, stored, and pending codes.

With that, I'm surprised you got the drivetrain wrench icon and there were no codes found. Sounds like you are on the right track with the TB though.

OP
OP
Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an Actron auto scanner plus with code connect. Its pretty advanced. It showed nothing at all. It will show permanent codes.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Here's a scary trouble scan. And just like you, the wrench light comes on. Shut the vehicle off and start it right back up and everything is fine. Its happened several times, and each time with a different set of codes, except for the Forced Engine Shutdown. I'm pretty sure I have a failing ECM or a corroded ECM harness somewhere. Its pretty indicative of a processor or bus failure. Once the ECM loses comms, everything starts to shutdown as designed to save the engine. The real scary part is this event happened at about 70mph, with absolutely no power....brakes and steering were gone.

This vehicle runs like a top otherwise, btw. It just shuts itself down at the damnedest times.

And take a look at the number of codes it says it detected: 0. And the MIL is off also.

Attachments

• Diagnostic Report 2018-04-09.html.pdf
    136.2 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford