Expedition mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. You are on an Internet forum and since the vast majority of people never once visit one you are not seeing a true sampling set. Quite a few people who do find a forum do it because they have a problem leading to more issues reported as a percentage than actual field numbers.
Yup! Hardly ever see anyone posting about how great their car/truck is. It is always this problem or that problem. Figure the number made and overall the amount of failures are low imo.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a long list tbh. Here are a few:

- Rear Main Seal (huge job)
- Front and Rear differential seals leaking
- RF axle seal leaking
- Rear pinion seal fixed 3 times
- Front Cam washer leaking
- Reseal front engine cover (huge job)
- Cam phasers (replaced at least 3 times)
- Front brake calliper pin seized
- Rear brakes seized (both) and locked up. Replaced rear brake actuator then had to replace ABS module
- Intermittent Airbag light
- Water pump leaking, changed
- Replaced rear glass due to wire hanging syndrome
- Replaced both rear CCD shocks due to leaking

Of course, in that cost I mentioned there is routine dealer maintenance. Lots of seal problems, so I wonder if this thing got a bad batch from the factory? But if this wasn't a company truck, it would have been sent to the crusher a long time ago. Don't get me wrong, I do like the vehicle. I chalk it up to the 2018 new model gremlins (there are a lot).
It is sad to see all this before 100K miles and 5 years. I would have agreed that it could be due to 1st year issues (true for cam phasers), but we shouldn't see issues with items like differential and brake calipers.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is sad to see all this before 100K miles and 5 years. I would have agreed that it could be due to 1st year issues (true for cam phasers), but we shouldn't see issues with items like differential and brake calipers.
Agreed and I am pretty good at bringing it in for service every 5-6000 km regardless what the OLM says.

khammer

Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking, what did you end up paying for your Expedition?
No, I don't mind. Relatively speaking, I felt like we did alright at just under $49k for the Exp. I am working on getting a window sticker for exact build, but it is a 2018 4wd Limited 82K miles, I believe 302A package. It has pano roof, adaptive cruise, park assist, 360 camera, 22" wheels, ccd suspension, captain chairs, RSE, and all the rest.

Between CarGurus, autotrader, NADA, KBB, the values were all over the place as well as for my trade in. I could not rely on any of those sites, so I landed somewhere in the middle. I knew what I wanted for the trade and was able to get them down a couple thousand off their listed price close to the Carfax value. I based it off what I saw between CarMax, Carvana, and Ford Blue Advantage used prices and had an idea of where I would agree to.

I hear all the groanings regarding prices and "that's too much for a used truck" and what not, but I am not interested in all that. I just do not see it getting better anytime soon. Sure, if we knew that prices would be better 6 months from now, I would have waited. There is no indication that will be the case, and I am afraid there likely will be no relief. I think this could be a long game with prices staying "high" (again, this is relative) for a few years. Forget ever going back to the "normal" that was before 2020, this is the reality we are in. With a growing family, it does me no good to hold out for 2-3+ years. My budget is not $65-70k+ on a build-to-order Expedition to make payments for the next 8 years. It came down to this Expedition or a 2016 LTZ Tahoe with 80k miles they were asking $47K. The EXP blew it out of the water with features, room/comfort, and 2 years newer technology so a no brainer.

I am willing to accept that I could be wrong, but time will tell.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I don't mind. Relatively speaking, I felt like we did alright at just under $49k for the Exp. I am working on getting a window sticker for exact build, but it is a 2018 4wd Limited 82K miles, I believe 302A package. It has pano roof, adaptive cruise, park assist, 360 camera, 22" wheels, ccd suspension, captain chairs, RSE, and all the rest.

Between CarGurus, autotrader, NADA, KBB, the values were all over the place as well as for my trade in. I could not rely on any of those sites, so I landed somewhere in the middle. I knew what I wanted for the trade and was able to get them down a couple thousand off their listed price close to the Carfax value. I based it off what I saw between CarMax, Carvana, and Ford Blue Advantage used prices and had an idea of where I would agree to.

I hear all the groanings regarding prices and "that's too much for a used truck" and what not, but I am not interested in all that. I just do not see it getting better anytime soon. Sure, if we knew that prices would be better 6 months from now, I would have waited. There is no indication that will be the case, and I am afraid there likely will be no relief. I think this could be a long game with prices staying "high" (again, this is relative) for a few years. Forget ever going back to the "normal" that was before 2020, this is the reality we are in. With a growing family, it does me no good to hold out for 2-3+ years. My budget is not $65-70k+ on a build-to-order Expedition to make payments for the next 8 years. It came down to this Expedition or a 2016 LTZ Tahoe with 80k miles they were asking $47K. The EXP blew it out of the water with features, room/comfort, and 2 years newer technology so a no brainer.

My friend, these are the current prices, don't feel bad..
Congratulations on the purchase, I hope it serves you well.. Enjoy the boost :happy160:

OP
OP
H

hudson76

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. We are in the looking process as well. I knew the prices would be crazy, but dang. And trying to find one that is not crazy high mileage has been a challenge in itself. I think a lot of the max models were previous rentals. It’s the only way to explain the high mileage. Congrats on your purchase.