Expedition Vibrates like an unbalanced wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Here is an issue that I cannot figure out. My 07 Ford Exp EL at speeds from 55-80 vibrates just like one wheel is out of balance. I have Bridgestone Tires that are fairly new (50% wear left). I have had three independent tires centers balance these tires some more than once and confirm they are in balance. I had factory rims that the lips were chewed up to a previous owner so I finally replaced with OEM rims. That made no difference as well. This vehicle used to ride smooth as butter at all speeds and now I wiggle down the road and it is irritating. No vibration in steering wheel but I can feel it in the seat.

Anyone have this issue in the past or suggestions.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Make sense as I have a clicking knocking noise sometimes on turning and the vibration seems to come and go slightly. I thought maybe a loose tire pressure sensor but now that I look up some symptoms I think I meet all the criteria. I will be under the truck tomorrow. The '07 has 260K on it and it runs very well. Want to keep it going to 300K. THANKS!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If those are the original U joints with 260K miles, they're potentially a problem. You're my hero! Wish the same for my 2008.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Well I am back. I went ahead and wrote the check (urgh...) and had some much needed work I was going to do on my own but it is too cold in Ohio. I had all control arms replaced and the drive side upper and lower replaced plus a very worn knuckle in the rear. Had the CV pulled and inspected and then differential fluid replaced. Then had a front end alignment and all tires rebalanced. There was no sign of wear in the CV and the all the other components replaced really makes for a stable ride. Much quieter too. But I STILL have that annoying wiggle at 65+mph. I feel it in the seat not the steering wheel and it feels like I am sitting on a cheap vibrating message pad. The mechanic is ford certified who I know very well and trust and I got to see the before and after.

I am stumped. I have less than a year old replacement struts and shocks (done before the wiggle started). Now where do I go from hear. The rims are even less than two years old (purchased new). What is left? Out of round rim, separated tire belt?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like the death wobble problem. I think related to caster adjustment. You might have someone drive along side of you on the highway and take video of each side of the car when it starts.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
What?? Death Wobble..Can you elaborate. I can do the above. Would a four wheel alignment solve this? It is just a shimmy shake nothing vigorous but annoying and only at 60+ or higher speeds. Elaborate if you could as the name death wobble implies imminent disaster...lol

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Could still be a tire. With 50% thread left one can have internal damage. You said you had them balanced, but have they been carefully inspected for a wobble, or bump?

If you have the energy, try switching them one by one with the spare, if it's still there. The cable on my 2000 rusted off and dropped mine somewhere on I-78 one night. If you don't dare do 70 mph on that thing, rotate the tires front to back and look for a change.

You're asking a lot from a 260,000 mile, fifteen year old truck. Could be a very small amount of play anywhere. You have to check for minuscule problems here that aren't immediately noticeable, like a dented driveshaft, worn bearing or worn slip joint. Look for leaking seals on axles that could show bearing wear. Some people have had luck sticking a GoPro camera under things to pick up the source of the movement.

I wish you luck. You have a challenging task.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Reaction score
That is probably my next step. I think I will head to the rim mechanic and see if they see anything with them off car. I have heard of vibration detectors can help isolate the shimy. Have you heard this at all.?