Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miro

Reaction score
My recommendation, DO NOT buy extended warranty when buying new ford. I bought me new Expedition Lim in March 2019 and "good" financial guy at ford talked me to include ext. warranty for $3820 and maintenance for $2170 (7y 100k). I figured at my driving, in 7y I will have only something over 50k miles, and because I consider car age by millage, not by years, I decided to cancel ext. warranty. I never used it, car is still in bumper-to-bumper, and Ford sent me back check $2653, thats 30.5% they took for doing nothing. Similar we did with our mercedes, they returned us all money. FORD, I can't find any word, but, you are THIEF!!!

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you considered that they probably returned the actual plan cost? Perhaps that 30.5% was ADP (Additional Dealer Profit).
That would be my guess too? I bought a plan from Ford that I cancelled after a year and they kept a prorated portion of the 8 year warranty term; I understood that was how it worked, but I basically paid cost not cost plus through Zeigler.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My recommendation, DO NOT buy extended warranty when buying new ford. I bought me new Expedition Lim in March 2019 and "good" financial guy at ford talked me to include ext. warranty for $3820 and maintenance for $2170 (7y 100k). I figured at my driving, in 7y I will have only something over 50k miles, and because I consider car age by millage, not by years, I decided to cancel ext. warranty. I never used it, car is still in bumper-to-bumper, and Ford sent me back check $2653, thats 30.5% they took for doing nothing. Similar we did with our mercedes, they returned us all money. FORD, I can't find any word, but, you are THIEF!!!

Caveat emptor..........

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can buy that same warranty for a fraction of the cost online from Lombard. As for the maintenance, I don't know what that was supposed to include but I can't imagine why anyone ever goes to the dealer for maintenance.

Draw2

Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something in your post. An extended warranty is basically an insurance policy. You are shifting your risk to another party. Basically instead of you risking your money, you pay someone to pay for it (if something happens). Generally speaking, the warranty is based on a fixed term or mileage, whichever comes first. In the end, there was "insurance" coverage for 2 of the 7 years. I do understand, it was a bad decision on your part, but in the end, the policy itself wasn't the issue.

We can discuss pricing and if that's a bad deal, but that is a separate conversation.

....can't find any word, but, you are THIEF!!!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
ManUp's right, as he usually is. You can buy that dealers' warranty anytime up to 100,000 miles on line from Lombard without the absurd markup most dealers charge. Check out what that warranty should have cost on their site.

"Maintenance Plan"?? What's that on a new car? A few oil changes and an air filter?

ssmock

Reaction score
I paid around $1800 for my extended warranty on a 24K mile used 2014 Limited Expedition. Had to negotiate pretty hard for that price (he started at $2,500) and used it twice, one for a sensor and one for a cracked manifold and both times had a loaner car while the dealer fixed it. I guess the $1,800 paid off in my case vs out of pocket with the dealer. I have 112K now and warranty ran out at 100K miles. Planning on keeping this truck for a long time yet so looking into one of those after market warranty programs. I haven't pulled the trigger on any of those yet. Any opinions on these other extended warranty programs?