Extreme Service Delays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSpecialMan

Reaction score
Does anyone have contact info for escalations within Ford due to service delays and any advice on it if will make any difference?

I noticed my transmission acting up on my 2018 Plat back in early March and took into my local dealer. I've got 45k miles so should still be under powertrain warranty. They said it would be a couple days before they could diagnose it, two weeks went by, I had some things I needed the vehicle for and it was still drivable so I took it back. Then I got the wrench on the dash with a "Powertrain malfunction" message on Fordpass so I brought it back to the dealer. After a few more weeks I elevated to the manager there and at least got a loaner vehicle. He said they needed to tear my transmission down to determine what was bad, only had one transmission tech and he was way backed up.

At this point it's now been there nearly 3 months and all they continue to say is the transmission tech is still backed up and he hasn't gotten to it.
I called all other dealers within a reasonable distance, only one even has a transmission tech on staff and he is about two weeks behind. That dealer doesn't have any loaners so I'm probably better off sticking where I am.
I am considering just bringing it to an independent transmission shop and just paying for the repair, but my concern is there could be some part that is on backorder and again I'd be stuck without even a loaner. And then I have no idea if I'm looking at a $500 repair or $5,000 repair.

Anyone have any advice on best course of action from here? If I stay where I am, I at least have a loaner but have a long road trip coming up in a few weeks and they say I'm supposed to bring it back before I go over 3500 miles which I would if I take it on that trip. I'd also just like to have my own vehicle. They can't tell me if they'll get to me in 2 weeks or 2 months.

Blue87GT

Reaction score
I would call Ford Customer Service about it. You've elevated it to the Manager already.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be wary of being told they have to tear down the entire tranny to diagnose. No wonder the mechanic is backlogged! I would call Ford Customer Service and get them to agree to pay an outside shop to diagnose. It could something very simple.

I would not expect that to be unreasonable. I had an alignment problem on an E350 van and the dealer sent me to an independent truck shop to have rear axle thrust angle tweaked.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 18 Navigator has been in for almost 8 weeks now getting the engine replaced! Not surprised.

Call Ford...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealership said their guys have been off for random weeks because of the stupid Covid protocol BS and its put them so far behind and now people are driving the cars that they left parked for a year while they hid in their moms basement.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealership said their guys have been off for random weeks because of the stupid Covid protocol BS and its put them so far behind and now people are driving the cars that they left parked for a year while they hid in their moms basement.

I had several close friends die from COVID. None had underlying health conditions.

My son, a law enforcement officer, contracted COVID after the riots in our city last summer - as he was on the street as a riot squad commander. He was ill for one month, and now has underlying health issues. Prior to that, he was very healthy, worked out daily, and did not smoke or drink.

Your mocking of those that took the virus seriously is childish and immature.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had several close friends die from COVID. None had underlying health conditions.

My son, a law enforcement officer, contracted COVID after the riots in our city last summer - as he was on the street as a riot squad commander. He was ill for one month, and now has underlying health issues. Prior to that, he was very healthy, worked out daily, and did not smoke or drink.

Your mocking of those that took the virus seriously is childish and immature.

I operate a Funeral Home, I've seen this first hand. I'm just annoyed by the way this country crawled in a hole and shut down. Sorry if it sounded as if I was mocking this particular disease. I worked through this whole thing while everyone else seemed to sit home and hide (including the mechanics). I handled many remains with Covid.