Feels like a Misfire but no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Over the last 200 miles, I was feeling a slight bump every once in a while. Over the last 75 miles, I am getting the classic misfire like a bad COP but only when the engine is under load like going up a very steep hill.

Today I ran some short errands and it was misfiring under any load or acceleration. Now that I am home it will even misfire occasionally at idle.

So I figure after 200 miles there has to have been a Code thrown by now. NOT A SINGLE FAULT CODE, NONE!

EXPY is a 2003 EB 4X4 with 259,000 miles on it. Plugs and COPs were changed at 225K.

Do I just keep dealing with the misfiring until it throws a Code or are there suggestions on making it throw a Code while driving a specific way?

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had several Ford/Lincoln vehicles and a over the years a few of them have had COPs go bad. They only one that threw a code for mild misfires was my Lincoln LS. Other other one had to misfire very badly to throw a code including my Navi.

If the misfire is noticeable but not throwing a code try unplugging one COP at a time and see which one makes the least difference in idle and start there.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had this issue for a week, I needed to tow a trailer 100 mile round trip. (nothing heavy, just 2000 lb utility trailer) I towed it up a long up hill and got it misfiring, so i went WOT and got it sputtering enough to cause a code. Replaced it when i got it to my destination and the 50 mile return trip and has been fine ever since! So you could try to add weight and make it cause a code.