Finally let her off the leash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Believe it or not, many geos and land people out here use Expeditions for off-road travel. After doing my geological work in Nevada for over 30 years with F-150s, I have learned a few tricks... like not getting in too deep and not walking out. If the terrain looks beyond what the vehicle capabilities are, I walk to where I need to be.

The OEM Hankooks are not only street tires, they are rated AT, all terrain. BUT they do only have 2 ply nylon sidewalls, which is a concern of mine. But if I get a flat out there, I will replace them. Until then, it is an experiment. The Expy was built for the road as well as the off-road.

Try it, You'll like it!!:biggrin:
It is not built for off road. No skid plates, no brush guard, low ground clearance, 2 ply tires and the fact it is a 2017. I would not want a scratched and dinged up paint job. I owned a Hummer. They were made for off road. Every couple of months, the dealer would hold a "Hummer Happening". A dealer sponsored, off road event for owners. The following week, the dealer was swamped wilh body damage and mechanical repairs. It was a real money maker, for the dealer.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the 2017 a lease? I can't believe someone would "off road", a new, $50,000 vehicle. Esp. with no skid plates and street tires. You insurance company must love you....

I was thinking the same thing. Getting scratches and dents in a 2017 is a bummer.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't say I have any thoughts of taking a $60k vehicle off-road. Not a criticism, mind you. Different strokes for different folks.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, many geos and land people out here use Expeditions for off-road travel. After doing my geological work in Nevada for over 30 years with F-150s, I have learned a few tricks... like not getting in too deep and not walking out. If the terrain looks beyond what the vehicle capabilities are, I walk to where I need to be.

The OEM Hankooks are not only street tires, they are rated AT, all terrain. BUT they do only have 2 ply nylon sidewalls, which is a concern of mine. But if I get a flat out there, I will replace them. Until then, it is an experiment. The Expy was built for the road as well as the off-road.

Try it, You'll like it!!:biggrin:
If I lived in country like you live it I would definitely take my 17 off road. :D

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is not built for off road. No skid plates, no brush guard, low ground clearance, 2 ply tires and the fact it is a 2017. I would not want a scratched and dinged up paint job. I owned a Hummer. They were made for off road. Every couple of months, the dealer would hold a "Hummer Happening". A dealer sponsored, off road event for owners. The following week, the dealer was swamped wilh body damage and mechanical repairs. It was a real money maker, for the dealer.

What?? The Expy is not built for off-road? And the Hummer is???? Whoa. Off-road people around here (like half the population) NEVER drive Hummers especially off road. Hummers are built for people's ego to make others think they are bullet-proof.

There are many ways to drive off-road for pleasure in the back country and avoid scratches and dents. It is the risk that drives exploration. In many nanny states, the government has legislated risk out of life. That is why I love working my career in Nevada.

I purchased the Expy for both gentle off-road and road trips. It excels at both!!! Like I said, try it, you'll like it!!!!

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken our '15 on some pretty nasty unpaved roads and it does fine, although, admittedly, I'm not rough with it like I would be my Rubi or my wife's Trailhawk. The 4WD systems on these trucks are pretty darn good. My only real caveats have been the weight @ 6k lbs. and the size, both or which have made me shy away from a couple of places my Rubi would just laugh at. As long as the ground is mostly solid and the paths wide, these Expy's will chew it up. In fact, I was traveling FS roads in the Ouachita Mountains just yesterday and only had to back away once due to a questionably small 'bridge', and I use the word loosely.
Now, I did get in some East Texas red clay that was freshly wetted and that one made me worry a bit considering we had no cell service and nobody was within CB range. We had to back straight out for about about 1/2 a mile but it crawled out and got us home.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nevada, You've got pretty good clearance EXCEPT at the rear shocks/struts as they sit fairly low but as long as you keep that in mind as you drive....well, you proved it....it's a beast in 4wd!!

jeff

Thanks Jeff. Half of life is using your head in whatever you do. I will be going out to my field area again today and take the beast off-road. I have been doing field work off-road for over 30 years and have learned a few things along the way!!

So nice in the hot summer months. Where I will go today is 20 degrees cooler than the lower elevations. Gotta love it!!

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken our '15 on some pretty nasty unpaved roads and it does fine, although, admittedly, I'm not rough with it like I would be my Rubi or my wife's Trailhawk. The 4WD systems on these trucks are pretty darn good. My only real caveats have been the weight @ 6k lbs. and the size, both or which have made me shy away from a couple of places my Rubi would just laugh at. As long as the ground is mostly solid and the paths wide, these Expy's will chew it up. In fact, I was traveling FS roads in the Ouachita Mountains just yesterday and only had to back away once due to a questionably small 'bridge', and I use the word loosely.
Now, I did get in some East Texas red clay that was freshly wetted and that one made me worry a bit considering we had no cell service and nobody was within CB range. We had to back straight out for about about 1/2 a mile but it crawled out and got us home.

Just like anything in life, gotta use your head but gotta have fun!!! Your Rubicon is the ultimate off-road vehicle. There are many of those around here with smiling drivers!

pkuchirka

Reaction score
That's the thing people don't do with a "SUV" anymore. Finally someone is using a sport utility vehicle what it is meant for! Towing, off roading, and comfort on highway. Can't beat A expedition

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk