First drive 2018 Navigator Reserve and Black Label

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me, lease to own seemed the most attractive, lease at a lower payment, then buy at a lower payment. Owning and loving my truck just increased my love(and want) for the navi.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tend to buy used vehicles. I have never leased. It seems like renting - you are paying somebody else and no equity in it. Even depreciation there is usually some equity left in a vehicle. Once paid off, I keep driving them as long as possible. As recent as low mileage as possible. Even low mileage I have them checked out by brother who is a mechanic. Only bought new once, and only because it was a really good price. It had sat for 6 months on the lot. It was a Jeep Patriot which should be a bargain vehicle. It wad the High Altitude edition trim which is a special edition of the middle trim level. That put its price up near where the Jeep Grand Cherokee started at the time. For a salesman $20-50 more per month for a Grand Cherokee was probably a good deal. It was on the lot from November, 2017 to May, 2018. It was one of the front page of the Memorial Day ads. Marked down from $29,999 to $16999. When I drove off I actually had equity compared to the Kelly Blue Book (checked myself, not the dealer).

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didnt want used 18 amd even if i did, it woulf be the same priced that i leased off of. But if the expy naver changed, i wouldve looked for a used one as well. The way these new vehicles are updated and the price of entry has damn near doubled, leasing for a new new car was a smart decision for me. It lowers the payment amount since your not paying for the financing, my down payment wouldn't be as high to get to the payment i want, if i want the car after leasing, i can buy it at a smaller clip and bypass the depreciation hit or give it back(if i dnt like it, im not gonna put the miles on it to get the fees). Also, i dnt own the car until its paid, so either way i wont own the car. Theres no wrong way to purchase the car, just depends on ur needs, finances, long term goals and priorties.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This morning I was getting an oil change and I spent some time with an '18 Navigator Black Label with the Destination theme. There are three themes you can choose from with a new Navigator which dictate the primary colors of the interior: Yacht Club (Blue), Destination (Burgundy) and Chalet (Cream).

Comparing to my '16 Expy Platinum (which I love dearly), the interior of the Navigator is on a completely different level. Lincoln definitely went for the modern ultra-luxury feel, much like GM did with the Escalade.

Frankly, I didn't like the rim design, but they fit the overall theme well. I grabbed the front grille expecting it to be made of plastic and have some minor play (much like plastic frome); however I was surprised that the grille is either made of metal or reinforced plastic, because it had no play and felt solid. As I continued to explore, I focused on finding minor details where "refined" is Lincoln's intended impression.

So while the trucks may be cut from the same cloth, it's the attitude between the two which are night and day different.

Starting with the names...

"Expedition" is an action word, a "do-it" word. Expedition says adventure, trail-blazing, pack leading, boldness, going somewhere excluded and difficult.

"Navigator" is a directing word, a planning word. Navigator makes the decision of we are going here. I will direct you where to go, but you do the heavy lifting. The Navigator says I'm the planner, the overseeer, the ultimately responsible, but I'm not the deck hand or the line man.

Honestly, this is why I chose my Expy and would choose the Expy Platinum over the Navigator, even today. Despite the refinements on a Platinum, it's still an Expedition. To me, this says capable, strong, tough, ballsy. The Expy still gives you a true 2 speed 4x4 transfer case, whereas the Navigator does not. Even with '20s, the Expedition tires still have a good amount of sidewall meat on them; pointing to the tough-duty roots of the Expedition. Even while I stop at a light sitting on cooled red-cherry leather shadowed by an open moon roof, illuminated by LEDs; I can still pull up next to an LEO Expedition Interceptor with a winch, steel rims, Kevlar tires and bull bar.

On the other hand, a Navigator is all about screaming luxury. No expense spared, the Navigator is the voice for demand of the most comfortable and fashionable. The Navigator says: I don't need a true 2 speed 4x4 transfer case, because I helicopter to destinations off the beaten path. I need 22's with low profile tires because that's what grabs the attention at the valet. The suspension should be about comfort, not capacity, because I don't use my truck for heavy duty tasks. But with those qualities, comes the sacrifice of the tough, off-roady, business feel of the Expedition.

I don't mean any of this in a sarcastic way and I'm not shunning the Navigator at all; it's just built for a different purpose.

They have certainly done wonders to differentiate the Navigator from the Expy since the very first model; a re-badging exercise with cooled seats and an Alpine. On that front, I was incredibly impressed.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
G213, you've got to be in the marketing business. What's your line? Very refined observations, I must say, and probably much of what Ford Motor Company intended.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
G213, you've got to be in the marketing business. What's your line? Very refined observations, I must say, and probably much of what Ford Motor Company intended.

Thanks! Believe it or not, I work in technology with a B.S. in Business Administration. Tech has always been a hobby of mine, so I leverage some technology certs with my degree to build that bridge between your tech team and your operations/management teams.

Marketing has always been a hobby of mine; I guess my attention to detail and my interest in communicating drive it. I find it fascinating to decode the messages behind why companies do what they do, particularly in the auto industry. You can frame a consumer's juxtaposition with just a phrase or picture; invoking feelings and judgements, by simply knowing your audience.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Pick up the Wall Street Journal. Lots of insight for a guy like you. Most people don't see the forest from the trees and are lead around like beagles.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like G213s analysis. There’s a lot of differing consumer mindsets to grab. I’ve always admired the King Ranch trim......real saddle leather, specialty rims that aren’t too big, two tone exterior. Pretty much says “I’ve worked to the top, but I’m still not afraid to get dirty”. It’s got a road presence matched by no other in fords lineup. When I look at a ford SUV or truck, to know the trim I generally have to look for a badge. Not the KR, instantly recognizeable and demands your attention, king of the road....I guess hence the name “King Ranch”. It’s top dog, demands your attention, but will be found working alongside you all day long with the XL trims.

Speaking of XL trims, the owner of the marina I keep my boat at has an XL F-350 dually. It’s a blue with black grille, best looking base truck I’ve ever seen. Doesn’t look cheap at all.......he likes the bare bones models because he works them into the ground and likes simplicity. The higher trims don’t appeal to him. Yet another different mindset.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I like that marina owner's thinking. My truck is just that - a truck - and I usually buy an SSV or XL. I want it to do a job, not be plagued with broken gadgets and not detract me from what I do. I'm also tight with a buck and spend as little as possible on consumables and as much as I can on investments.

I worked many years as a railroad trainmaster, a first resposder to accidents, derailments and pedestrian fatalities. My partner for a decade was a bare-bones Expedition SSV and we got along so well I took it with me into retirement.