First long distance pull, or shall i say longer distance than normal with TT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We went to Hocking Hills State park 2 weekends ago. Pulled our Outback 293UBH which has a GVWR of 7600lbs. We never tow with water in the tanks, so I would assume we are closer to the 7000 to 7200 range. And, yes I used my Equalizer hitch and prodigy controller.

Was approx 80 miles each way towing. Kept the speed on the highway to about 62MPH. Alot of very steep hills in South Eastern Ohio. We averaged 7.62 MPG, which I think SUCKS! Also, I would not want any more trailer than that for our SUV. For those who don't know me. We have a 2003 Expedition EB, 5.4, 3.73, 4x4 with 218,*** miles on it. I tried to keep it under 4k RPM in steep hills.

What have you guys done towing? Just curious how your performs?

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
7.62 towing fully loaded isn't bad. Especially going through SE Ohio/Appalacia. She's not a diesel...

BobB

Reaction score
We went to Hocking Hills State park 2 weekends ago. Pulled our Outback 293UBH which has a GVWR of 7600lbs. We never tow with water in the tanks, so I would assume we are closer to the 7000 to 7200 range. And, yes I used my Equalizer hitch and prodigy controller.

Was approx 80 miles each way towing. Kept the speed on the highway to about 62MPH. Alot of very steep hills in South Eastern Ohio. We averaged 7.62 MPG, which I think SUCKS! Also, I would not want any more trailer than that for our SUV. For those who don't know me. We have a 2003 Expedition EB, 5.4, 3.73, 4x4 with 218,*** miles on it. I tried to keep it under 4k RPM in steep hills.

What have you guys done towing? Just curious how your performs?

Hi. I'm new to this forum and having a hard time getting around, hope this works. I have a 2013 Limited with the 5.4 v8 in it. Going to tow a 29 foot Jayco TT. I'm only getting around 11.5 mpg around town and concerned about what I will get when towing. What is your mpg around town?

OP
OP
johnboneske

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How heavy is your TT? What model? Is it hilly or flat? All that will help determining that.

Matticus

Reaction score
My first expedition was an 03 EB. I towed a trailer weighing around ~5k a handful times when the mileage was around 200k. Trip was about 150 miles over average terrain - some steep hills, rolling hills, and a fair amount of flat. I found that, with the overdrive off, averaging 60 -65mph, I got about 8-9mpg.

However, I discovered something that upped my mileage, but I'm not so sure it was good on my transmission. I would feather the throttle just right to where the trans wasn't quite fully into overdrive. So, in overdrive, I believe my revs were about 2k at 65mph. With overdrive off, I believe ~2500k. In between 3rd and 4th I believe there is a spot where the torque converter isn't quite fully engaged, but feels like an actual shift into another gear (I learned this after the fact....someone with better understanding may be able to explain what I was doing better than I can). The engine would be right around 2100-2200k at 65mph. If I feathered the throttle just right, I could get it to hold that "gear" and I got about 10.5-11 mpg when I did and could run about 65-70mph without the engine screaming and/or constantly shifting in and out of overdive. However, like I said, I don't think I was in a different "gear" seeing as how they are just a 4 speed and I was between 3rd and 4th. In hindsight, I think this was probably really bad on the trans and probably really heated it up if my understanding of how auto transmissions work. But, the engine wasn't revving near as high and I could drive faster and get a bit better mileage

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed from Irvine to Houston last year. 2017 Expedition EL and 31' ~6600 lb trailer. Averaged around 8 - 9 mpg, which is the norm based on subsequent tows. Speed kills mpg. Following trailers can help, but sometimes they go faster than I am comfortable going.