Colorado driving tips with TT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chip S

Reaction score
All,
I hope you are all well.
I'll get to it. We want to head to CO from TX. With this being our first TT, I am concerned about the grades up and down. Below are the specs of TV and TT.

TV: 2020 Exp Max with HD Towing package (2x4)
TT: Grand Design 2800BH UVW 6600. GVWR 8800

I've already gone about 2,000 miles with this trailer. The first 1,000 were with a terrible hitch that shall not be named. After white knuckling and having to pull over every 50 miles to tighten up the single allen wrench bolt for sway control, I bought a Hensley Hitch with the HD bars (1400 lbs) and installed it at an RV park (that was a fun experience, but will save it for a different post).

I think I've got about the best performance I can out of the hitch. I don't experience sway anymore but I do still have the 'truck suck' when an 18 wheeler passes me. I guess it's just going to be that way with such a large profile trailer and an equally weighted TV. Unless someone has some pointers on that??

I did go to the CAT Scale fully loaded in TV and TT.
Steer Axle: 2780
Drive Axle: 4560
Trailer Axle: 6800
Gross: 14140

OK. Now that we have the facts out of the weigh (heh), I could use some assurance (or avoidance) on how and what to drive to in CO with my setup. I'm concerned about grades (going up and down) with the setup. What would I be OK with this and what should I avoid. I know people say to buy Mountain Directory, which I will, but I would like to get some advice on what your experiences have been on these highways and roads. Given the above info about my setup, what would you avoid, what would you feel comfortable with?

Also, complete CO newbie question. What are the OK cities to visit that I don't have to traverse long grades? Maybe as I get more comfortable with my setup, I'll be more adventurous, but right now, I'm just not there.

Thanks all!!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front axle weight looks very low. For the scale you want three passes. Truck only, truck with trailer but no WDH, and truck with trailer and WDH. Using this info, you can calculate the trailer weight (Gross - truck only). At least 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue, and 50% of the weight taken off the front axle with no WDH should be added back. You can estimate by measuring the front axle rise before the WDH is connected. For example, if your front rises from 35 to 36, it should be at 35.5 when the WDH is attached.

Your hitch may require adjustments if you load up the trailer. Try putting heavier items over the rear trailer axle, instead of in the tow vehicle. This way, only 10% of the additional weight will count against your payload.

I haven't done any long steep grades, but I've noticed the coolant temperatures creep up to the 220s when I begin climbing shorter grades. You may need to downshift or slow down. Some people have complained of the Ecoboost heating up on long grades. I suspect it's boosting too much instead of using the gears, but have not confirmed.

I didn't tow when I drove to Colorado, but my recollection is that 287 was more of a gradual climb as compared to I-25. I recall being disappointed because I expected spectacular scenery and didn't get it. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All,
I hope you are all well.
I'll get to it. We want to head to CO from TX. With this being our first TT, I am concerned about the grades up and down. Below are the specs of TV and TT.

TV: 2020 Exp Max with HD Towing package (2x4)
TT: Grand Design 2800BH UVW 6600. GVWR 8800

I've already gone about 2,000 miles with this trailer. The first 1,000 were with a terrible hitch that shall not be named. After white knuckling and having to pull over every 50 miles to tighten up the single allen wrench bolt for sway control, I bought a Hensley Hitch with the HD bars (1400 lbs) and installed it at an RV park (that was a fun experience, but will save it for a different post).

I think I've got about the best performance I can out of the hitch. I don't experience sway anymore but I do still have the 'truck suck' when an 18 wheeler passes me. I guess it's just going to be that way with such a large profile trailer and an equally weighted TV. Unless someone has some pointers on that??

I did go to the CAT Scale fully loaded in TV and TT.
Steer Axle: 2780
Drive Axle: 4560
Trailer Axle: 6800
Gross: 14140

OK. Now that we have the facts out of the weigh (heh), I could use some assurance (or avoidance) on how and what to drive to in CO with my setup. I'm concerned about grades (going up and down) with the setup. What would I be OK with this and what should I avoid. I know people say to buy Mountain Directory, which I will, but I would like to get some advice on what your experiences have been on these highways and roads. Given the above info about my setup, what would you avoid, what would you feel comfortable with?

Also, complete CO newbie question. What are the OK cities to visit that I don't have to traverse long grades? Maybe as I get more comfortable with my setup, I'll be more adventurous, but right now, I'm just not there.

Thanks all!!
Eastern plains you are alright anywhere. Everything in the mountains will have long grades as high as 7% (some even higher). If you do drive in the mountains, stay right, let faster vehicles pass, pull over on the pull-outs in single lane roads to let others pass when you can, take it slow. I have never towed into the mountains, but am up there quite a bit and you see all sorts of people. More important than the climb is the descent, make sure you are using your transmission as much as you can and have the trailer brakes properly set up.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given the above info about my setup, what would you avoid, what would you feel comfortable with?

I've never towed in CO, but can make this relatively easy: interstates are designed to 6% grades. If it's a US highway (say, US-101), it can be 7%. State, county and municipal roads and all bets are off. That said, you'll be fine on just about any interstate and US highway. You'll want to not use cruise control on long, twisty descents because you want to control the brakes and feel if they start to fade. I say you'll want to control the brakes because you want to apply them in pulses: let the truck speed up, press the brakes firmly to slow down to slower than you're preferred speed, release the brakes, rinse and repeat. This will help minimize heat build up...

lurch

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition and a Grand Design 2400BH with a Blue Ox sway pro hitch. It is pretty similar to your setup just a little lighter. We live in Boulder and have taken it over the mountains many times without issue. The EcoBeast has no problem pulling the long grades even going up Vail Pass from the west which is about the steepest long grade at highway speeds you will hit anywhere. Stay right as always but if you get behind a Uhaul going 30 you have the power to get up to speed for a pass. The most important thing to keep your trailer under control is using engine braking while descending to keep your brakes cool and ready for emergency braking. Make sure you are in tow mode so it will grade shift on the downhills and manually shift down if it is not being aggressive enough.

If there is any question if you can get to a campground use Google Maps to check for tight turns. But in general, if they are renting out space for RVs and others are getting there so can you. Colorado is part of the first world things don't get too crazy unless you try to take your trailer off-roading.

Last edited:

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that this trailer is longer than most recommend for even your long wheelbase. One general rule is that you are allowed 20ft of trailer for your first 110" of wheelbase, then every 4" after that gets you another foot of trailer (the whole thing, not the "box"). I can be convinced you could make allowances for less top heavy or more aerodynamic trailers but it's a good rule of thumb to guide you. That puts a standard Expedition at 23.1ft and a max at 25.4ft. That doesn't make what you're doing impossible or unsafe necessarily, but it does become even more important to balance your weights properly on your axles because your sway will be even more pronounced. There's a "Keep your Daydream" video on youtube where they experienced nasty sway then upgraded to Hensley, and I suspect it was for the same reason (insufficient wheelbase). Was your hitch a recurve? I just learned about that one last night and was looking for some firsthand experience with it. I like that it's up out of the way of the road and seemed simple to latch and unlatch.

Happy trails!