Fixed one issue and another arises...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treagan82

Reaction score
Fixed my no start issue, now I have another... Now, the truck drives fine, no issues, hot or cold, however, when I come to a stop at an intersection sometimes it starts chugging a little bit. If I give it some gas or start moving again, it stops. If I continue to sit there sometimes it just dies. No loss of power at any point while moving. Only happens when im at a dead stop. Any ideas?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your vacuum hoses & connections & let us know year, etc of your truck. Put it in your signature & we won't ask again. :chair:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fixed my no start issue, now I have another... Now, the truck drives fine, no issues, hot or cold, however, when I come to a stop at an intersection sometimes it starts chugging a little bit. If I give it some gas or start moving again, it stops. If I continue to sit there sometimes it just dies. No loss of power at any point while moving. Only happens when im at a dead stop. Any ideas?

The inside bore of the vehicle’s throttle body is probably dirty, as well as the edge of the butterfly valve.

At idle (such as stopped in drive), there is not enough air bypassing the valve, causing a rich condition and the chugging. If the a/c is on - it places an additional load on the engine at idle. Either condition can cause the engine to stall.

When you drive away, the blade opens and there is plenty of air - thus no loss in power.

OP
OP
T

treagan82

Reaction score
The inside bore of the vehicle’s throttle body is probably dirty, as well as the edge of the butterfly valve.

At idle (such as stopped in drive), there is not enough air bypassing the valve, causing a rich condition and the chugging. If the a/c is on - it places an additional load on the engine at idle. Either condition can cause the engine to stall.

When you drive away, the blade opens and there is plenty of air - thus no loss in power.
I did find what appears to be a hose that has completely rotted away. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GluhLzQWoBLm-nzBxo4mUZ7WFuhNsrl9/view?usp=sharing

Not sure if this is the cause or not, gonna have to get codes pulled tomorrow. I will definitely check out the TB. The air being on or off has no real effect on when it happens.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought mine, one of the first things i did was replace all the vacuum lines & PCV because I found a couple of lines that were mushy and cracked. Only had 100492 miles. Lot of heat under the hood. Check rockauto.com

OP
OP
T

treagan82

Reaction score
So I am pretty sure the issue is fixed. I replaced the missing hose with some 5/16 fuel line with hose clamps on each end. It actually looks like the top connection (plastic)broke off, but there was still enough to get my new hose on. I also cleaned out the throttle body, paying special attention to the bypass hole. Seems to idle fine now. Thanks for the help guys!

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds good ! If you end up replacing the DPFE sensor you can find them over at Rock Auto as well as the correct hoses.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...sion,egr+pressure+feedback+(dpfe)+sensor,5088

DPFE15-FRO__ra_p.jpg

Hamfisted,

I must start by saying that I entirely appreciate the feedback you have shared with others, myself included when I had a question.

I bought, installed new EGR valve, DPFE (aftermarket) and hoses. The Aftermarket one failed me from day one, CEL kept coming back. Scratched my head. Finally had to go to the dealer and they installed a Motorcraft one after figuring out it was faulty, and voila problem solved.

Now I agree my DPFE malfunction could be an anomaly, but the headache it caused gave me pause on certain aftermarket items for my expy. OP, if you do go aftermarket, give the part a good shake down so you can replace if need be.

GL

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rich I would agree you can't go wrong using factory Motorcraft whenever possible. Rock Auto offers Motorcraft for this part as well as other brands that are a little cheaper if you have to go that route for your budget.