Flatbed Trailer Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Flatbed Trailer Suggestions?

Can anyone suggest a place or tips when looking for a flatbed trailer.

I'm hoping to find something that is

1. Comparable to a standard full size truck bed

2. Can be enclosed with walls and a drop down ramp, similar to the trailers you see at Home Depot

3. Has some kind of suspension so that if you're transporting something large, but somewhat fragile (like a cabinet with glass doors) - it won't break.

Also, I've seen some of these trailers with license plates (larger ones) and some without. Is there a size limit where they need to be registered and have plates?

Does one need a special license once you get beyond a certain size?

Thanks all

OP
OP
G

I can help you with some of this.

Each state has their own laws about trailers. KY says no plates unless it is being used for business. Penn where I live now says plates on all trailers.

As for the license issue. Length wont change the class of license you need. Unless it is over the states legal limit (most are 65' total vehicle+trailer lenght) you wont have a problem.

Weight can be an issue, but not usally being pulled by a truck like an Expedition. When weight comes into play is when the trailer is more than 10,000. An example, a private bus pulling a trailer. If the trailer is less than 10,000 you need a class B cdl license. If it is more you need a class A. These laws are nation wide..

Something else to avoid, is getting commercial use plates on the trailer. If a DOT officer, or state trooper has an issue with you and (god forbid) wants to be anything less than pleasant, they can say your commercial trailer puts your whole truck into a commercial vehicle class, and start writing you tickets for not having a log book, a medical examiners card, not stopping at scales etc. This I saw happen in Indiana last year. A guy doing some work for us was driving a Dually pickup (TN non comm plates) pulling a TN tagged trailer( comm plates. $1500 ticket to driver after cop was done with him.

Another tip: Those signs that say Trucks/Auto's with trailers 55mph on the side of california highways...also mean trucks, SUV's and buses pulling trailers.

As for the getting a good deal...try to find a manufacturer. I bought a 6 x 10 trailer for my motorcycles direct...and it was quite a bit cheaper than the home depot trailers. Most decent trailers will have suspension. I would stay away from any kind of Torsion mount and get one with good old leaf springs.

I will also add...you should check out your insurance and what it covers. Again, KY my Expy insurance covered trailer. PA insurance covers trailer but not cargo. Every state I am sure is different.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

Thanks! That's exactly the information I was looking for!