Flushed Radiator on '14, Now Head Gasket Seems To Be Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 with the 5.4 had similar issue and was the crossover. Leaked just enough to occasionally see a drip or 2, but definitely had the smell. Thought it was the water pump, but it wasn't... I had already had the T-connector on the heater line replaced with an aftermarket metal connector.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. Looks like there is a coolant crossover in the front and one in the back. That actually seems a little more reasonable point of failure than a head gasket, and a pretty ****-poor design if you ask me. Pulling the manifold should be a pain but not too bad. Might also be a good time to replace the spark plugs. I'm guessing the originals are still in there.

Question: how do I use a coolant pressure gauge to find the source of the leak?

It's pretty easy to pressure test the system. The test kits are cheap and you can use them on many vehicles you suspect of leaks in the future. The kit comes with the sscrew-on adapter for late model Fords.
Normal operating pressure for the system is 3-4 PSI, and cap relief pressure is 16 PSI .
Here's a video of a guy testing his F-150, but other vehicles are very similar to test.

Pressure Testing Your Coolant System Video

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
I had similar symptoms back in March on our 2014 Limited, at 99k miles. Smelled coolant, random drips here and there, but no overheating. Took it to Goodyear and the guy guessed (correctly) what the problem was before they even looked at it. He said they use cheap plastic on some of the hose connections and they crack, and that it's a common issue. I think it was at a cracked "T" connection. They replaced the parts (and hoses), flushed the coolant and refilled it. No leaks since then...knock on wood.

I can't remember the specifics, but he said something along the lines of how they could either replace it with OEM parts or with aftermarket parts. He said in this instance they recommend the less expensive aftermarket parts because Ford never fixed the issue with the OEM parts. I honestly can't remember which parts we told them to use though.
Any idea where this T-fitting might have been? I'll start looking for radiator hoses and following them to their connection. I do know if is leaking from somewhere towards the back of the engine.

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
I did some checking in the engine compartment and it is, without a doubt, the front crossover on the left side where all the videos point to a design flaw. Radiator fluid is clearly leaking around the gasket and running back along the engine, then dripping down the left rear head and transmission. Given the location of the leak I would guess it is the rubber gasket on the upper crossover, not the broken ****** on the manifold. Of course, it may well be both and the plenum between the cylinders might be full of radiator fluid, too. Pretty significant design flaw. On the older V8 designs the crossover was always cast into the manifold so you only had one gasket per side, not two.

Are there any cast aluminum intakes for the 5.4? If it has to come off I don't just love the idea of putting it back on with a known design flaw just waiting to manifest when I'm out in the middle of the desert or something.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, glad you found this before you tore the heads off. Very common leak spot. I think the Fel-Pro gaskets are a little better than the OEM gaskets. Once the work is done you shouldn't have the problem again. When you pull the cross-over pipe off be sure to inspect the mating surface of the intake manifold side where they join and look for delamination of that contact surface on the plastic intake manifold side. If there's no delamination you're good to go and just replace the gaskets and reinstall everything. It's an all day job if you haven't done it before. Use a good torque wrench when retightening all the bolts. You're only working with aluminum and plastic, so you don't want to overtighten things.

Fel-Pro MS96696 Intake Gasket Set at Rock Auto

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score
Well, glad you found this before you tore the heads off. Very common leak spot. I think the Fel-Pro gaskets are a little better than the OEM gaskets. Once the work is done you shouldn't have the problem again. When you pull the cross-over pipe off be sure to inspect the mating surface of the intake manifold side where they join and look for delamination of that contact surface on the plastic intake manifold side. If there's no delamination you're good to go and just replace the gaskets and reinstall everything. It's an all day job if you haven't done it before. Use a good torque wrench when retightening all the bolts. You're only working with aluminum and plastic, so you don't want to overtighten things.

Fel-Pro MS96696 Intake Gasket Set at Rock Auto
Can you get the crossover pipe off without pulling the manifold? I saw that on some earlier versions you definitely could not since the crossover bolts actually came in from the underside. However, it almost looks like you could get the pipe off without pulling the manifold on my '14. I know the bolts that hold it on are going through the top side. Just wondering if Ford did a minor redesign to make maintenance a little easier.

Can anyone recommend a good manual? Looks like it's time to spring for one.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you get the crossover pipe off without pulling the manifold? I saw that on some earlier versions you definitely could not since the crossover bolts actually came in from the underside. However, it almost looks like you could get the pipe off without pulling the manifold on my '14. I know the bolts that hold it on are going through the top side. Just wondering if Ford did a minor redesign to make maintenance a little easier.

Can anyone recommend a good manual? Looks like it's time to spring for one.

No, it's a teaser. The manifold has to come off.

Inspect the manifold for cracks or delamination video

OP
OP
J

JohnSKepler

Reaction score