Ford AC drain elbow installation...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh1095

Reaction score
The 04 i just got doesn't have this problem......yet. Looks like i'm gonna go ahead and do this though. Could turn into a major headache one day.
Thank you for the post and part number

OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New Motorcraft elbow part number is 4M2Z-6A614-AA .....

You may or may not have to, depending on your clearance issue and tool used .... ATF tube retaining bolt on the side of the block ....

If you need to remove the transmission fill tube for clearance....
pnRMtANej

Plastic cover that usually covers the A/C drain tube outlet .... just pry it off , it won't be used again ....

pnbVYm3Wj

Primary tool for installing drain elbow.... huge screwdriver from Home Depot .... boil the elbow in water for 10 minutes to soften it up, then stick it on the screwdriver and push it on the drain tube.... once it cools it will stick permanently to the tube....

pmTof49xj

Here it is installed on the outlet ....

pmMPMNWIj

Last edited:

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking for the best source on parts for this now. What I thought was roof leak seems to be an A/C condensate drain problem.. Thanks once again Hamfisted.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
blue oval part did not work for me despite soaking and long screwdriver :-(

my resolve was a preformed piece of small rubber drain hose with a 90 on it. cut it to fit, then used hvac black seam sealer to hold it in place-works like a dream, and oh yes a flood of water from under the expy when running the a/c.

I also read a thread on here about running the a/c open-air vice recirculate; think moose posted it.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy hell that was a pain to remove the plastic shield over the drain line. I used a long breaker bar and finally pried off that rear plastic retaining clip. The drain must be clogged though, I can't even get it to drip while running the AC, even tried a downhill slope to no avail. I used compressed air and a coat hanger but haven't been able to free it up yet. I did not yet install the elbow.

Any way to clear a clogged A/C condensate drain from under/behind the glove box?

OP
OP
Hamfisted

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is just a 2WD model. Your 4x4 model might be a little more trouble working up under there.
You can drill a hole in the plenum box under the glove box and flush it out from there with some cleaner and a utility sprayer. You can even clean the evaporator through the hole with some spray cleaner. When you're all done just put a piece of black duct tape over the hole, till next time. I just put the hole kinda in line with the drain out opening so I could run a length of clothes hanger down to the drain out hole, or spray directly at it. Works well. Don't go too far over to the left or you might hit the evaporator with your drill bit. But it's pretty far over.

Icvnfl.jpg

Last edited:

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can drill a hole in the plenum box under the glove box and flush it out from there with some cleaner and a utility sprayer. You can even clean the evaporator through the hole with some spray cleaner. When you're all done just put a piece of black duct tape over the hole, till next time. I just put the hole kinda in line with the drain out opening so I could run a length of clothes hanger down to the drain out hole, or spray directly at it. Works well. Don't go too far over to the left or you might hit the evaporator with your drill bit. But it's pretty far over.
Well that sure beats taking the dash apart. You and the rest of this forum are so helpful, thanks a ton.

josh1095

Reaction score
@Hamfisted This looks like a great idea. I'm gonna go to the hardware store and look for rubber cap that i could insert in the hole when i'm finished, just to look a lil better. My idea is to use a 1/4" hole, maybe 3/8", and use my air compressor to force air through to clean it out.
I still think i'm gonna need the elbow though. What i have noticed is that it doesn't start "sweating" really hard on the AC coil box and also leaking down the firewall UNLESS i'm driving at highway speeds. My thoughts? It has to do with air flow. If parked and just idling with the ac on it will drain just fine, when at hwy speeds it starts backing up. The air pressure, just by random coincidence in engineering(not factoring air foil and pressures) is causing higher pressures at the drain when at speed, thus causing it not to drain properly. That AND most likely some dirt partially clogging the drain.

Does anyone know the I.D.(inside diameter) of the elbow? I could probably get that at Depot/Lowes/Ace with no problem. It is only a $22 part though so it's not a big deal if i have to order form ford. It's also not my daily driver so not a huge rush.

Thanks, and that was an excellent tip to clean/flush out the AC coil box

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003, and anything that helps with the AC sounds like a good idea, but I'm such a massive ****** that this is probably near impossible for me to try... There's a few things I need checked in terms of AC, it seems to be slightly weaker than I'd expect, I have no idea on the status of my cabin air filter (if it exists), and there's the hissing from the rear! Perhaps next oil change I'll ask the shop to replace the air filter too, that's a common service thing, right?