Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a big advantage over the 3.5. No turbos and it's a V-8. This will sell in the truck Market. People are still pissed that they can't get a V8 in their F-150s! Most people don't want turbos on their truck unless it's a diesel. Turbos are for performance cars and for play toys not for daily drivers or things you want to go a quarter of a million miles without repairs.
The majority of people who drive trucks don't care near as much about mileage as they do about a nice set of wheels and tires or bigger wheels and tires.
Powerful V8 in trucks is a smart move for Ford.

The F150 still has the 5.0 V8 engine as an option. You may have been referring to the Raptor. The F150 has six engines choices, with the 3.5 at the top and the 5.0 just below. The two turbo engines (2.7 and 3.5) were over 60% of the F150 sales mix, so they've been really popular options. This new 6.8 engine may be a 7th option, as the power output will be similar to the 5.0 and the 6.2 was taken off the option sheet. It might even replace the existing 5.0, since that engine is really close to the 3.5 in power, but down on torque. A 6.8 would mean greater performance parity between the 3.5 and V8 alternative, with more serviceability and durability from the 6.8. Either way it shakes out, it's nice to have choices.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The F150 still has the 5.0 V8 engine as an option. You may have been referring to the Raptor. The F150 has six engines choices, with the 3.5 at the top and the 5.0 just below. The two turbo engines (2.7 and 3.5) were over 60% of the F150 sales mix, so they've been really popular options. This new 6.8 engine may be a 7th option, as the power output will be similar to the 5.0 and the 6.2 was taken off the option sheet. It might even replace the existing 5.0, since that engine is really close to the 3.5 in power, but down on torque. A 6.8 would mean greater performance parity between the 3.5 and V8 alternative, with more serviceability and durability from the 6.8. Either way it shakes out, it's nice to have choices.
Yes, I drive all the time because there are not enough choices in new vehicles. They always rationalize it and hide behind the fact that it would cost more money to give us more options but I simply don't believe it.
I want to be able to buy a red vehicle with green interior if I want and that should be available in cloth or leather. I should be able to check the boxes.
I don't really agree with what they're doing with the truck Market anyways. I know there are a few people that care about horsepower and performance and all of that but that's still under 20 or 30% of the market if not less.
Most people buy a truck because they simply... Want a truck! Then they might choose to get a little more power as opposed to having a little less power and have a V8 over a six-cylinder like in the old days of a straight six versus a 302.
People that tow things are worried about torque and often get the larger more powerful engine or go for the diesel option. That's fine but the vast majority of people who drive pickup trucks Don't call anything any heavier than a barbecue grill or a bicycle so it's it's all overkill.
Americans are really good though at buying stuff they don't need just because it's cool or they want it. So there's that.
I think trucks are for utility purposes or looking good or playing off road. I've never thought of a truck or needed a truck to be fast.
I guess I don't believe in the only having one vehicle and making it a dual-purpose one as many people are doing today and manufacturers are trying to do.
If I want to play around on the road I'll go home and get a play car. I don't think I've ever tried to race ir out muscle anyone in a truck or even in one of my SUVs. I just don't see the point or the thrill.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People are pulling dual purpose on a vehicle because they can't swing 2 $800 payments for a toy and and a daily. That comes back to the buying things we don't need in this country. You don't need a 2021 anything to commute to work 9 times out of 10. If you're in transportation, sure.

If people would make a sensible choice rather than what they feel they deserve or entitled to they'd find options for things in life open up greatly. You'd be surprised at what a couple hundred dollars in savings a month could do whether its an investment, rainy day fund, etc. Instead we spend every penny we can to look better than the other guy or to run 0.003 faster from Starbucks to Target.

The Navigator I picked up from you confuses everyone. They think its far less old than it is, are astounded I spent nearly half as much as I paid for my expedition into its convenience and entertainment systems. It safely transports the family, has tons of space, has wireless charging, voice controlled radio/GPS, smooth ride, looks amazing from 3 feet away, has a capable 4wd if necessary and if truly needed can tow a fair amount. A 2021 does the exact....same...thing aside from it can massage the ass at the same time. I guess that's worth $100k more? :33:

I'm all for engine choices. People have many different needs for a particular vehicle as you pointed out. A turbo 6 if you want a modicum of efficiency w a little fun if needed and a nice 8 for the real workhorse. The ecoboost is a fine motor and can make a lot of power but its a complicated beast and pricey to repair.

All of my GM 3800 pushrod motors have been amazing as far as reliability is concerned. I'm sure we can squeeze some pretty good mpg numbers out of a modern design and eliminate some of the complexity of the current offerings.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess that's worth $100k more? :33:

Most of these luxury vehicles are leased, so people don't pay the full MSRP, just whatever the depreciation is, then swap at lease end. And some of the leases are likely being deducted as business expense as well.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I drive all the time because there are not enough choices in new vehicles. They always rationalize it and hide behind the fact that it would cost more money to give us more options but I simply don't believe it.
I want to be able to buy a red vehicle with green interior if I want and that should be available in cloth or leather. I should be able to check the boxes.
I don't really agree with what they're doing with the truck Market anyways. I know there are a few people that care about horsepower and performance and all of that but that's still under 20 or 30% of the market if not less.
Most people buy a truck because they simply... Want a truck! Then they might choose to get a little more power as opposed to having a little less power and have a V8 over a six-cylinder like in the old days of a straight six versus a 302.
People that tow things are worried about torque and often get the larger more powerful engine or go for the diesel option. That's fine but the vast majority of people who drive pickup trucks Don't call anything any heavier than a barbecue grill or a bicycle so it's it's all overkill.
Americans are really good though at buying stuff they don't need just because it's cool or they want it. So there's that.
I think trucks are for utility purposes or looking good or playing off road. I've never thought of a truck or needed a truck to be fast.
I guess I don't believe in the only having one vehicle and making it a dual-purpose one as many people are doing today and manufacturers are trying to do.
If I want to play around on the road I'll go home and get a play car. I don't think I've ever tried to race ir out muscle anyone in a truck or even in one of my SUVs. I just don't see the point or the thrill.

I think part of the reason Ford offers six engine choices, three cab configurations, and three bed configurations on the F150 is that people use it for a variety of things. Some people use it for work, for some it's double-duty work and play, and for some it's lifestyle. It's basically a swiss-army knife. Massaging seats in a truck that can be optioned with a 3.3l V-6 tells you everything you need to know. This thing is operated as a fleet vehicle, but some people depend on it for their livelihood. The new F150 has a fully reclining sleeper chair. Obviously someone is getting a lot of seat time, and I doubt it's by choice. Our economy is driven by businesses finding new ways to separate us from our hard-earned money. To each his own...we get to make choices in a free society. Ninety percent of the world's population would happily trade places with an American.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In think those people should get two used vehicles or buy a new one if that is what floats their boat and get an play car to modify and make fast/handle again whatever floats their boat.
Plenty of nice sports cars at good prices where you don't need to finance.(except for classics and muscle cars- those are ridiculously overpriced currently)
Go get a C5-C7 Vette or 98-02 F-body and go to work on it.
I think that's the way cars should work. To say it nicely....I have respect for those who buy and soup them up. Most anyone can buy a nice or fast car, the cool people build a fast/nice car.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lease or not the inception fees alone would buy a vehicle thats likely nicer than what 10% of those in this country drive every day. I haven't looked at leases on a new one but guessing a well equipped 2020 navigator goes for a good 1k a month on a lease. In 12 months time you've probably spent 20k w the $ due at signing factored in, which as evidenced on this forum by a few people recently purchasing nets you a pretty decent used ride. End of that lease, let's say a 3 year, more like $45k into it...thats insane to essentially rent a vehicle for 3 years for 1/4 of what the average house in my state sells for.

I'd wager a lot of people in those higher end leases probably also have 30yr mortgage 750k homes as well. You'd think you'd want to pay that off fast and save a half million in interest. I know a couple people on this very situation. Blows my mind how much people waste when they could put the money to work.

There are all sorts of fun vehicles out there along with plenty you can also make fun for the equivalent of a few car payments. I've had one for years until just recently when we decided its time to downsize the collection and prepare to move into a larger place in the next year or so. Selling all the crap and extra vehicles we don't need and banking $ for the new place/just in case fund.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
This has turned into a great thread. For me reading all the above hits home.

I’m now starting a new job. My customers are new car dealers. I’ve learned the average car payment in America is $600/mo!!

I must be a dinosaur because I’ve not had a car payment since 2001. Unfortunately I’m facing a replacement of my 1st gen Expy now and am freaking out over the used car pricing today.

There’s no way in hell I’m spending $40k on a truck, I don’t think it makes sense to buy used for $30k. I feel like I’m in a pickle.

I need to drive 20k-30k mi year on the highways. Need to tow 3000-5000lbs and want a V8 plus 4x4.

Prices on a 2014 Expedition is in my price range but it’s a 5.4 that I’m afraid of having to repair the phasers etc. and I’d like to stick w Ford. Great relationship w service where I live.

I’m now looking in on a 6.2 F150 used. Fingers crossed.