Frequent READER with 2001 Expedition -4r100 Tranny problem Please advise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RTD199

Reaction score
DID some reading but alot of my syptoms date back almost six years ago so I would like to get some opinions/info. so here goes
have a 2001 expy EB Build date 2/2001 with a 5.4L I LOVE. Great Maint records and ALL Synthetic fluid! It has the 4r100 tranny (code "e" on pillar) 76,800 MILES. (tanny has Yellow marking on it and G1 code on a white sticker) a year ago I started getting a Shudder(like rumble strips) in OD so I did a Pan off Fluid/filter change (including torque convert) and refilled with 16qts of Royal purple ATF. and it shiofted GREAT...NOW last week (1 year and 16,000 miles later) I have a Delayed 1-2 shift with a chatter sound on acceleration. Bad enough I either have to let off to force the shift or it will run up to 2800-3200 rpm's before shifting with a slight jerk/squeal. all the other shifts including O/D are fine. I just did ANOTHER fluid change 2 days ago but this time I had it power flushed at local shop and added 16qts of valvoline MAX life fluid (Meets Mercon specs as I need shop didnt have anything better). THIS DIDNT HELP as the chatter and delayed shift is still there.(chatter is like spinning a spoked bicycle tire and placing a playing card in it) Also Noticed if I punch it into Passing gear the RPMS race up and tranny doesnt catch till RPMs get back around 4000RPM. If Placed into 2nd with shift selector ..it is VERY weak!OD light has NEVER blinked and Button works (turns OD on/OFF) seems ford has a TSB#01135 that covers the Delayed shift symptom. AM I on the right track with 1-2 shift Accumulator broken spring DIY fix OR could it be BE THE dreaded mecahnical diode? NON-DIY fix...I thought IF the Mechanical Diode FAILED it was low mileage fast if at all?(as Indicated BELOW in another forum...) Is it worth the trouble to pull the pan and check the 1-2 accumalator -spring to rule it in or out or take it in to shop? I know if its the Mechanical diode (ONE WAY CLUTCH) I'm facing a TOTAL rebuild! local TRUSTED shop quoted a Mechanical Diode-one way clutch total rebuild around 1300.00 and if its just the accumalator spring 250.00...Any ideas? THANKS!!!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like it isn't applying the intermediate clutch due to a leaking circuit. It is more than likely the piston seal for the intermediate clutches or something else in the clutch apply path. If was the accumulator it would merely shift too hard but it would shift. Will it shift into 2nd at WOT at the right time?

My gut instinct is that it probably needs a rebuild.....

Matt

OP
OP
R

RTD199

Reaction score
Matt,
Thanks for the info./reply Not sure what "WOT" means? It will ONLY shift into 2 if I ease off acceleration or if i start off from park very easy. after I get passed 1-2 then 2-3,4-4OD shifts fine. I f I MANUAL shift DOWN into 1 then into then D 2 just revs the rpms. Could that Ticking noise be the Torque Convertor?ITS CONSTANT as long as Tranny is In gear. Is 1300.00 rebuild Decent $$ ? from a HIGHLY eliable Tranny shop who's owner Happens to be a close friend of my brother in law...Taking it to him this afternoon and leaving it. Thnaks again for your time and response!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IF the sound is constant then it could very well be the one way clutch (sprag or mechinical diode)..........

Good luck with that.....

Matt

OP
OP
R

RTD199

Reaction score
Matt,
Thanks for the reply and Info. ITS TOAST NOW! I just dropped it off at local tranny shop. HAD to LIMP there , Chatter noise got Worse and was present even in Neutral. I Lost drive, 2 and 1 had to Shut off the truck and restart it 3 times to get it to catch a gear by the time i made it! 12 miles took me 35min!....Owner is a friend of the family and assured me its the Mecahnical Diode -sprag. He said he's done no less than 10 of these including his sisters 01 Exp 5.4 last year that gave up with 52,000 on the clock! :mad: Still dissapointed but he said no more than 1300.00 and thats with a 24/24 warranty. Truck looks and drives new Everything is fine just got back from vacation with it and now this. Its paid for so it worth fixin. Thanks again Hope to have it back by thursday...

Last edited: