From 16 to 12 to 14.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"paulC" i was really wondering about teh PCV valve as well as the mass air flow sensor. I have heard some people foul the sensor when the use K&N filters because after cleaning and reoiling excess oil coats the MAF. If you were to pull out the MAF what should it look like?? I mean is it unreasonable to expect it to look crystal clear?? If it is fouled, how do you clean it?? it's okay if you don't know the answers, but maybe if you don't know you could point me in another direction. thanks again for your reply it makes sense to me.

one last thing...where would i find the PCV?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To clean the MAF check out this very detailed link...

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm

In terms of the PCV valve, it is a snap to replace. First, go to your local auto parts store, and pick one up (they are not expensive). Open your hood and look to the left side valve cover, and right behind where you put in new motor oil is the port in which the PCV valve sits. Pull the valve out, and remove it from the return hose. Install the new unit in reverse order. The attached picture shows where this is located, as indicated by the find number "2".

Hope this helps!! :D

Attachments

• 5.4 triton.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,074

rednvegas

Reaction score
newbie here:0)
I own three Fords one of which is a F350 with the powerstroke, i installed a K&N drop in and lost mpg took the thing out and droped a Fram in and got the 3mpg back...hope it helps

the other two Fords are
01 Expy 4x4 EB
00 Mustang
I installed cat backs on the mustang and saw mpg increase so the expy is getting a cat back and C.A.I real soon.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cnuttgirl,

What is the true outer diameter of the new tires you installed versus the old tires.

You see, most tires, even though the same size, have difference true diameters.

This can create an illusion of reduced economy.

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmmm, never thought of that. and those tires now have about 60K on them. i do have another set in the garage that i'll measure just to see the difference.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best bet would be to go the manufacturer's webstie for each brand of tire and get the published "Revolutions per Mile".

My guess is that there would be a difference.

Now that the tires have worn you're seeing a rise in mileage again.

pacpark4

Reaction score
I put an K&N Filter in my 2000 Expy 5.4 4x4 and noticed a 1.5 drop in mpg. I put a Fram filter in and the mileage returned to normal levels. I only use 87 octane here in Washington State, and my Expy has never pinged. Cruising around 65 mph on the freeway, I average 16 mpg, but if I speed up to 70 it drops to 15.4 and at 75 mpg. around 15.1 mpg. In town, I average between 11.5 - 12.2. I don't have any modifications on my Expy but I do have the 3.55 rear axle.......Keep your foot out of it on the open road and hopefully you'll get another 50 miles out of a tank.

Sanchez_315er

Reaction score
80K? I'll bet on O2 sensors.

Don't forget that in colder temps, there is a denser air charge coming in, and therefore O2 sensors see it being lean.... and then they add more fuel... smart, huh? It was the exact opposite for my carbed vehicles... I got AWESOME mileage in winter.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
C

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, now i'm at 116K. i'm getting ready to do all the fluids, plugs, and new belt. while i'm under there...i guess i'll take a look at the O2 sensors. i'm going to try a new air filter...True Flow. it's a foam filter, that you can "clean" by blowing compressed air through it. watched a video about it, where it was compared against a paper filter and a K&N type filter. this foam filter trapped more dirt and was easiest to clean.
here's the cheapest place i have found them so far:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/p...ear=1999&part=air_filter&part_brand=true_flow