Front AC blower not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
Thank You.

Does anyone know why these burn?
Will the new one burn or is it "beefed up"?
Is there any way to avoid the burn?:cheers:
Ford used a larger gauge (smaller wire) on one lead in the factory harness. This causes a hotspot in the connector plug and the plastic melts.
The repair harness uses the smaller gauge wire for all the connections and should handle the heat better.
iimagine

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would this be my issue? Today fan didn’t turn on and I tapped glove box and it came on.

Last edited:

Steve Tanner

Reaction score
My '17 EL just started doing the same thing so I came here to look. Blower won't come on, kick under the glove box and it starts up, etc. I thought it might be the motor since it is really loud on the higher speeds (separate problem - anyone else have this?).

I got under there to look at it with a thermal camera and you can see the issue. The connector and terminals don't look melted at all, but the terminal has pretty high resistance and must barely be making contact.

This is after about 2 minutes of running at 75% speed:
FLIR0072.jpg

You can see the 2nd wire in (yellow w/green I think) is pretty hot. I pushed the connector on really hard and zip-tied the wires up so there's pressure on it and hasn't died since, but figure it's only a matter of time before it fails so I'm ordering the replacement connector.

Just curious -- the harness is plugged into what appears to be the "resistor pack", but it behaves more like an electronic speed control w/4 wires. I noticed it would over-speed the fan when I jiggled the connector like a digital ESC would. Did any of you have to replace that part as well as the connector when it was melted/damaged?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new Blower Control Module for mine. Playing with plug and connections does nothing, tap the module and the fan comes on. Also explains the random speeds and delay today when I wanted higher speed.

Last edited:

Ron1978

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a brand new extra blower resistor new I. The box , I bought 2 when I bought them to have a extra, got it at Napa Auto for $75 if any needs one , I’ll sell my extra since I found my connector bad and replaced it

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throwing parts at an issue bit me lol. Connector checks out bad. I’ll keep the new relay in there at this point since it’s also a known failure point.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the connector and control module, still the same issues. I was told if the vehicle ate up the connector or relay it’s because the fan motor is bad anyway.....just a heads up. Mine is scheduled to go in next week for a likely fan motor and wheel replacement but they will dig further.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I replaced the connector and control module, still the same issues. I was told if the vehicle ate up the connector or relay it’s because the fan motor is bad anyway.....just a heads up. Mine is scheduled to go in next week for a likely fan motor and wheel replacement but they will dig further.
This was typical in the test lab at Xerox for big printing machines. Often (too often) the Tech would do a parts swap with a working machine then **** the part swapped in burns out. Sometimes they would put that burned out part back in the original machine and break that one. It might be on night shift with no records of what they did (since they were embarrassed and hid it).
Sometimes the Tech would then go get a part off another machine, burn that part up and take down another machine. We'd have multiple machines go down at the same time. Chaos. It was fun putting Humpty Dumpty back together!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360