Front end conversation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
6D6653A3-DEE6-476C-A082-4C8E815F933C.jpeg I have a friend that’s has a 2001 Silverado and he did a front end conversion to 2006 would I be able to something like that maybe a 2004 front end off a Expedition to my 2000 Expedition just panels and lights

9DA47C85-71D7-4A8B-897F-00F0F554A64A.jpeg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably doable.... I know 2nd gen >> 3rd gen is definitely possible

However it wouldnt be cheap or easy

...Youd need:

Bumper cover
Upper bumper cover
Possibly --- the actual bumping part under the bumper covers
Grille
Headlights
Fogs
Wheel arch trim

....pain in the ass and costly project guaranteed. Really only something to attempt if you got front ended and have an insurance check to blow and time to kill.

Much cheaper and easier to do something about the chrome of the bumper and update your headlights if you feel it looks too dated

PS dunno if you realize, but working 2nd gens can be had for two grand, 3rd gens for 3-4 grand.... spending a grand or more on making a 1st gen look like a 2nd gen is therefore kinda....

Last edited:

Joseph Burgess

Reaction score
Only reason it worked on the Chevy is the fact that the trucks are the same other than the hood, grille, headlights and front fenders. Other than the cosmetic stuff the truck never changed

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That says a lot about Chevy trucks. Change the front end and call it a new model. The 1st Gen were and still are the best looking of all model Expeditions. I bought some new headlights and they made big difference(also, better night vision). I found them on Ebay. The pair of new OEM's, for $40. The Navigator front end, for the same model year may, share parts.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That says a lot about Chevy trucks. Change the front end and call it a new model.

You could say the same thing about Ford Super Duty trucks, as well - I did an '05-'07 face lift on my '99 - same basic structure/sheet metal.

As far as the expedition goes, it appears the hood/fenders between "Gen 1" and "Gen 2" are different enough that you'd have to swap those, too, at a minimum.

Joseph Burgess

Reaction score
Every thing is different between a Gen 1 and gen 2 other than nuts and bolts nothing will interchange, I’d rather have my Gen 1 with the straight axle in the back and torsion bars up front

Vigilante

Reaction score
Short answer is NO. The sub assemblies are majorly different and unless you're a good metal work nothing will "bolt on" to the first gen from a newer model.

My 99 and 06 are different in almost every way when it comes to body work.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably doable.... I know 2nd gen >> 3rd gen is definitely possible

However it wouldnt be cheap or easy

...Youd need:

Bumper cover
Upper bumper cover
Possibly --- the actual bumping part under the bumper covers
Grille
Headlights
Fogs
Wheel arch trim

....pain in the ass and costly project guaranteed. Really only something to attempt if you got front ended and have an insurance check to blow and time to kill.

Much cheaper and easier to do something about the chrome of the bumper and update your headlights if you feel it looks too dated

PS dunno if you realize, but working 2nd gens can be had for two grand, 3rd gens for 3-4 grand.... spending a grand or more on making a 1st gen look like a 2nd gen is therefore kinda....

Don’t forget the hood, I think the fenders have different headlight cutouts too so add fenders and hood to the list lol. Limited 2nd gens were the best looking Expedition by far, I like them better than the 3rd gen. I’ve never liked the first gen all that much but a lot of guys do.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don’t forget the hood, I think the fenders have different headlight cutouts too so add fenders and hood to the list lol. Limited 2nd gens were the best looking Expedition by far, I like them better than the 3rd gen. I’ve never liked the first gen all that much but a lot of guys do.

Yeah I really wonder why they messed with the second gen design, and after such a short production run AND with record high sales too...