Front end outer axel seals leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigChinook

Reaction score
So I was getting an oil change the other day at the dealership and they said my out front end axel seals were starting to leak. They wanted 375.00 to replace them.

First question: Is this really necessary, I had heard there just dust seals but then why would they be leaking fluid?

Is this a repair that could wait awhile or is my front axel going to grind to a halt soon.

Would it leak more if I had the 4x4 engaged and would I Not have to worry about it if I never used the 4x4?

Is the price of $375.00 just a starting point and they'll get in there and need to do the bearings and inner seals as well??

Any insight would be appreciated.

Rob

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on the type of leak it is.

1) If it is weep then you have some time and can schedule the repair at a later date but don't put it off for months on end.

2) If it is a drip but not like a leaky faucet you can also schedule the repair but not wait as long as a weep. Sooner is better than later.

3) If it is pouring out as fast as you put the gear lube in then you fix it now.

All the above require monitoring the lube level in the differential which should always be at the bottom threads of the fill hole when checked on level ground. Also check the vent tube, if it clogs the seals will leak

If you take your Expy off road in conditions that the driveline will get into mud puddles then fix it now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington