Front end vibration and noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welp, hope that your problem ends up being different from mine. I finally got around to taking my expedition to the shop... It needs a new rear differential.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

New rear diff? Not just the LSD clutch packs?

210M

Reaction score
The shop said it needed a while new diff. I've only been going to this mechanic for about a year, but they've always seemed very honest and fair, so I don't have any reason to distrust them.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shop said it needed a while new diff. I've only been going to this mechanic for about a year, but they've always seemed very honest and fair, so I don't have any reason to distrust them.

Ok just seems pretty excessive for 85k and pretty minor symptoms. Mine 105k pretty good grinding/vibration when accelerating while turning from a stop. LSD clutch packs took care of everything.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I don't trust any of them. I fix my own but occasionally take it in but had nothing but ripoffs and grief from ALL of them. It's very rare for a diff to go bad unless it leaked oil or got water in it.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Would be good to ask them what exactly is wrong that requires an entire new differential.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't trust any of them. I fix my own but occasionally take it in but had nothing but ripoffs and grief from ALL of them. It's very rare for a diff to go bad unless it leaked oil or got water in it.

Ya, hard to know if you're getting ripped off if you're not able to put your eyes on it. I've had good luck with the local ford dealer, they diagnosed the clutch packs almost immediately just by a quick drive. They work with these vehicles everyday and are aware of the common issues, this being one of them. But it doesn't hurt to question repairs or have them explain why it's needed.

210M

Reaction score
Ya, hard to know if you're getting ripped off if you're not able to put your eyes on it. I've had good luck with the local ford dealer, they diagnosed the clutch packs almost immediately just by a quick drive. They work with these vehicles everyday and are aware of the common issues, this being one of them. But it doesn't hurt to question repairs or have them explain why it's needed.
I honestly wouldn't know what to look for even if they had let me take a peek. I asked what the problem was and what caused it. I don't fully remember their answers, but essentially he said that when they tore down the differential, it was full of metal. I asked what caused it and they said it was hard to tell, but said that they see rear diff failures more frequently in vehicles with independent rear suspensions. He also mentioned something about the aluminum housing possibly playing some role.

He found a low mileage (35k) differential in a neighboring state that will work with my gearing, and they said they could swap it out for $1600.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't know what to look for even if they had let me take a peek. I asked what the problem was and what caused it. I don't fully remember their answers, but essentially he said that when they tore down the differential, it was full of metal. I asked what caused it and they said it was hard to tell, but said that they see rear diff failures more frequently in vehicles with independent rear suspensions. He also mentioned something about the aluminum housing possibly playing some role.

He found a low mileage (35k) differential in a neighboring state that will work with my gearing, and they said they could swap it out for $1600.

That blows, seems like a good price for the work that's being done though

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would demand to get the old parts back, have a friend look at them, and maybe take them to court. They constantly rip people off. Some metal in there doesn't mean the whole thing is bad!