Front Parking Sensors - Warning Goes Off While Stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Dean

Reaction score
2017 Limited EL

I have noticed that sometimes when coming up to a stop light that if the car in front of me has the rear parking sensors that my front parking sensors will start beeping even though I am outside the range to trigger them to go off. Especially noticeable when I pull up behind another Ford with the rear sensors. If the car has no warning sensors it never goes off.

Taking the family to diner last night and there was an older Ford Edge in front of me and every time we pulled up to a light I would get the warning beeps and message in the left display. But soon as I came to a complete stop it would immediately clear. When I switched lanes and had a car without sensors in front of me nothing.

I am one of those people that always leaves extra space in front of me in case I have to pull out to get around a car or if I get rear ended I don't hit the car in front of me. Always make sure that I can see their rear bumper/cover and even the tires.

Anyone else experience this?

Carl H

Reaction score
They will automatically start sensing at 6mph (I think)and slower, my wife's does the same thing if they are dirty/snow covered/ icy as hell (happens a lot up here in SD).

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing with both my 16 platinum el and 16 limited.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 has always done this since new - always behind Ford vehicles. It sounds the alarm while I’m moving slowly, and while stopped behind a Ford vehicle. Very annoying and a poor design by Ford.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if the signal sent to measure the distance is reflected back to you from a Ford with rear sensors or the Ford with rear sensors is always emitting the signal and yours is reading it as a shorter distance.

Friends LR Discovery Sport does it all the time in traffic. I never noticed if the vehicle in front has back up sensors. Hmmmm

I do know that blind spot sensors and radar cruise control do make my old radar detector get false readings.

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a path to curing this: SaferCar.gov and file a complaint / observation.

Do not know about other year owner's manuals, but mine reads:
"The front sensors are active when the transmission is in any position other than park (P) and the vehicle speed is below 7 mph (12 km/h)."

So, with that statement from Ford and the fact that I (and another I know) have it trigger at highway speeds when it gets hit by ran spray from vehicles in front, at a minimum it is a reportable defect as Ford claims the system should not activate above 7 mph yet it does. Observations from others in this thread look they support the defect as well.

But, nothing will happen unless the Feds are able to read it.

Goldmember

Reaction score
Same issue with my 17 EL platinum. I’ll start to pay closer attention to see if other makes trigger the front sensors or only ford. Thought it was only my car with that issue.