Front tires rumbling in turns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Swanson

Reaction score
kidtriton-

I have an '04 EB with limited slip that is acting exactly as you described. Seems to me that it's just a side effect of a TIGHT posi unit, with no slip at all. Good thing right? Are you saying that it is going to get worse when the clutches finally start to slip alittle?

OP
OP
G

jeff, they do have to slip in order for the vehicle to make a turn. But its the resistance to the first bit of slip (overcoming the static friction) that produces the feeling and noise. Im not sure if it would get better or worse over time, everytime mine starts doing it , i have the axle replaced (4 axles in 10k miles). I dont think its really because the clutch packs are too tight, i think its more to do with the surface of the clutches and steels not playing well together when you reach that shear point. Almost like the same reason some brakes give that grunting sound if you are sitting still in drive, and let off the brakes just enough for the vehicle to creep forward. Some brakes make a grunting noise, and some are quiet. Thats my opinion on the "phenomenon".