Front tires rumbling in turns?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Front tires rumbling...UPDATE>>>>

Hi,
I am a new board user. Am a two time Expedition owner and continue to love the truck. My 2003 XLT 4X4 is experiencing a strange phenomenon. When turning out of a drive or at slow speeds while in 2H, the front tires seem to grumble (dry or wet pavement) like I am in a 4x4 gear. The dealer says ignore it. My 99 XLT never did it in 2H. Is this just the design of the new drivetrain or an early problem?
Thanks

Karl in MN

Reaction score
It is definitely not the design of the new drivetrain. Mine does not do it. Tell the dealer to go pound sand and fix the damn thing. Or take it somehwere else.

OP
OP
G

Karl,
I notice it when turning hard like at a cross section. When the wheel is cranked the tires "crunch" slightly. Tends to kind of dissapate when the car gets up to running temps.

OP
OP
G

Our 4x2 does the same thing. I'm waiting for a few more miles and something else to need replacing before I take it in.

Dunno what it is- but it can't be normal.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's really strange on a 4x2. Are the tires inflated properly? When is the last time that the front end was aligned?

OP
OP
G

Tires are at he right pressure... maybe.
But the truck has less than 1500 miles.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you rubbing against anything???
A year ago, I installed the Ford molded mud flaps on my '98 EB. One day I was turning hard and freaked out when I heard what you are describing. I checked around with the tires turned hard left/right and found the tires just slightly rubbing on one side on the mud flaps (I had slightly larger than stock tires installed as well 285/70/R17's). It is no big deal, so I just ignore my noise.

OP
OP
G

No rubbing, all is clear. The sound reminds me of a milder version of driving the truck in 4H gear on dry pavement. When turning, the tires crunch on the pavement.

OP
OP
G

its the clutches in the posi rear end. It does sound like its coming from the front, but its the rear end. Up until a month ago, i was a master ford tech for 9 years, ive fixed probably 20 or more (including my own more than once), but the problem will come back after a few thousand miles until ford really fixes the rear end assy that they send the dealsership.

OP
OP
G

kidtriton,
So you know this phenomenon? I swear it the front tires not being able to turn freeley without front end lock in. Again, I only notice it when turning left or right 90 degrees from a stop or rolling stop. My Expedition has 5k miles on it and a 100k extended warranty. Is it worth it for me to get it checked out?
Thanks