Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem is I get a pretty bad hesitation when I trying to pass someone. If I slam the accelerator it's a putt, Putt, putt then it goes. But only when I slam the accelerator!!!! But other than that it works awesome. Just came back from a road trip and it drove great other than that issue ....

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now that sounds more like a problem. I was confused for a long time haha. I assume the CEL does not come on otherwise you would have mentioned it. Simple thing to do is to unhook the battery, turn the key as if starting the truck to completely drain the remaining charge. Hook the battery back up and let it run at idle for around 5 minutes. That resets the computer and has it recalculate fuel/air mix. Probably won't fix it but it is worth a try.

Next I would say do the 4 remaining COP's and plugs as you said. If that does not work, then I would check the fuel pressure at the rails and make sure the pump is good. Would be good to check the fuel injectors as well. I do not know the correct numbers off the top of my head, but a google search should produce what you need.

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will do that today or tomorrow.. I will let you know what happens

OP
OP
Slick773

Slick773

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a stutter when I accelerate. When I try to pass someone if hesitates pretty bad and stutters... Only when I slam on the accelerator

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sure its not a miss? Mine was similar, I only felt the miss when I put my foot to the floor but otherwise it was really hard to feel it. Changing all the plugs and COP's/wires was the fix. Thanks to all the guys here for all the posts about having the same issues. Nothing beats saving a few dollars here and there by NOT taking your truck to the dealer or a mechanic. The pride you get when doing the work yourself was well worth the bruised knuckles lol. Oh and I bought a couple filters online, 2 for $20(thought it was worth it as the truck has some age) preventive maintenance is what I have in mind too. Thanks for the post to the link on the other forum, I'll give it a try as well.

electro

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure on the fuel rail for sure. Fuel, Spark, Air, Makes go. Instead of just wasting monies on fuel filter, checking the fuel pressure at the rail will tell you if its really needing replaced. HOWEVER, changing your fuel is a good move maintenance wise.

Have truck scanned by tech 2 scanner at a local parts store/mechanic.

Probably there is a code set., just not illuminating Check Engine Light (CEL).

THEN you get more details from codes.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The metal contacts in the plugs for the fuel injectors get tarnished too. The screens can get clogged.

My fuel filter is a PITA, I have two diff tools to remove it and still can't get the damned thing disconnected.