Fuel Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well this fourth problem since my gear box fault last week . Which also suspect is electronic related. So now My fuel gauge had given up, and the low fuel light is on. Where is the location of the fuel sensor? I've tried resetting the Ecu but no difference at all.

Attachments

• 20150421_210357.jpg
    20150421_210357.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Inside the gas tank. Not meaning to sound like a smart ass, check the fuel level before doing any work on the fuel level sensor. You can simulate the sender by varying the resistance level input to the gauge. Let us know if you want to try that first before changing out the pump/sender assy.

tedennis

Reaction score
Valid point above. I have many cars come into shop as a no start. Turns out they were just out of fuel.

Anyways, Fuel sender is in the tank with the pump. Most of them are only serviceable as the pump and sender assembly together. There are tests you can do to make sure it is not a gage issue. Without a wire diagram, I cannot tell you unfortunately. However I can tell you that if you locate the 2 wires that go to fuel level sensor that you can check the resistance. if the circuit is open then the sensor is bad. if you have a resistance reading, add a couple gallons of gas and the resistance should change. Again I cannot tell you if it will go up or down though. But it should change.

You can do both these test with it unplugged.

OP
OP
StuntMan

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Inside the gas tank. Not meaning to sound like a smart ass, check the fuel level before doing any work on the fuel level sensor. You can simulate the sender by varying the resistance level input to the gauge. Let us know if you want to try that first before changing out the pump/sender assy.

Well what happend is the level was showing near just little above empty, and it was not accurate because the engine was about to cut out from a lack of fuel in the tank. I filled it with a full tank of gas and then the no fuel light came on and the gauge was dead. I would like to try and simulate the sender.

And the gauge seems to have reset itself and is now showing full tank of gas but I highly doubt it is the case

Attachments

• 14297123238431486249671.jpg
    14297123238431486249671.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait for a while and see if the problem returns. You can use the trip meter to help gauge your fuel usage if you know what mpg's you were getting.

Mikish

Reaction score
I've had the same issue, dropped the tank 3 times testing the sending unit. Come to find out you can test the resistance in the harness. Lesson learned. Lol but still have dead fuel gauge. Is there a way tottest the gauge without scan tool or other specialty tools?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can use a rheostat or resistors in place of the sending unit to provide the variable resistance in the circuit.

Mikish

Reaction score
The sending unit is sending proper resistance just didn't know if it was a fault in the ecm or the cluster itself.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mikish in your case the next step would be to test the resistance at the end of the harness wherever it connects to. You would be looking for the same readings that you had at the sender. A slight difference wouldn't matter that much but a large difference would.

Mikish

Reaction score
Ok so I've replaced the cluster with a known good one. Still no fuel gauge. Anyone know where all the connections are so I can test the resistance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oaisdghfopuasdbnv