FX4 and LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I've learned over the past two days of research on the Expy lights.

XLT:
Standard with halogen low, high, and fog. The upper bulb is the low beam, and it is a projector. The lower bulb is in a quad beam reflector housing and is a high beam.

Aftermarket
Halogen LED
Low. HB3 9005
High. H9 H11
Fog. 9140 H10

NOTE: someone mentioned on here that the Ford user manual is wrong for low and high halogen bulbs. The table above reflects the correction, although I have no way to confirm this.

Limited:
Standard with halogen, upgrade to LED available for low, high, and fog. Manual states the LED is not serviceable.

Platinum:
Standard LED in projector housing for low, high, and fog light. The manual states the LED is not serviceable.

1466551a1b5525ebf5af778aa3b758b7.jpg

@Yukon Joe

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Platinum:
Standard LED in projector housing for low, high, and fog light. The manual states the LED is not serviceable.

Meaning what? The bulb cannot be replaced or upgraded?

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Platinum:

Meaning what? The bulb cannot be replaced or upgraded?
That is a good question. I suspect it is either integral to the housing, or Ford doesn't expect it to ever need to be replaced for the life of the vehicle.

Now this website identifies replacements LEDs for the factory LEDs.
https://www.headlightexperts.com/carfinder/?find=2018-ford-expedition-w--projector-h-l-458435.
But again, not sure where they got their info since the bulb type is not listed in the manual. Perhaps they pulled one off an Expedition?

@Yukon Joe

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most factory LED headlights are a sealed unit where the “bulbs” are soldered to the circuit boards.

Long life means not user or dealer serviceable and will have you replacing the entire housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So using these updates, I'm going to obtain these bulbs for my XLT

Aftermarket
Halogen LED
Low. HB3 9005
High. H9 H11
Fog. 9140 H10

Members online

Forum statistics