FX4 with Trailer Tow Package: Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I buy the FX4 package is there really any reason to get the trailer tow package, too? As far as I can tell, if you've selected the FX4 package, the only thing you get with the trailer tow package is the integrated brake controller and the back-up pro assist. I can see the back up pro assist being useful with a boat trailer but we have a travel trailer, not a boat. And the integrated trailer brake controller is nice, but the package is $1100 and I can get a trailer brake controller installed for just a couple hundred. (Cross posted to the towing forum, as well.)

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things is $1100 really an amount you can’t afford to spend? While aftermarket brake controllers do their jobs fine I would prefer it be integrated into the vehicle as an oem component. It looks cleaner and will function better.

wrc7732

Reaction score
I personally would spend the money. The integrated brake controllers are much better than bashing your shins on an aftermarket one screwed into the shin bolster under the steering wheel somewhere. I had a GMC Sierra without it and then a Silverado with it and was so glad for it. It’s really not a huge deal as you can get creative with mounting it, but those packages usually often come with stiffer Springs and/or roll bars, different shock valving, as well as integrated sway control and stability control system programming specifically for when you are towing, that you might not get if you just install and aftermarket controller. I think if you dig a little deeper you may find there’s more to it than just a slide switch with a couple of buttons on the dash.

Granted getting the FX4 package may negate some of the aforementioned things, but it would be good to understand what you’d be giving up with one vs the other. I bought my ‘15 used with the CCSD and 22” Wheels because it’s what was on the lot and the deal was right, but I would have gladly sacrificed the 22’s and ccsd for the load leveling setup. I find it interesting that mine was ordered with the HD towing package but then the 22’s negated load leveling. I imagine the first time I hook up my travel trailer I’ll be squatting something awful and with the independent rear I don’t have many options to add aftermarket air springs to level it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk