Gallon of milk in cargo area!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chelseamc

Reaction score
Last night I was driving home from the grocery store in my 2017 Expedition XL with a gallon of milk unsecured in the back and hit a big bump. Heard a crash and, well, the entire gallon of milk is now all over the cargo area of my truck! I'm not exaggerating when I say everywhere - milk even bounced up to the backseat where my dogs were sitting. It's so horrifying!! I cleaned up what I could but I can't get to some areas (see photos - white in the photo is baking soda.) And, it was leaking out of the bottom of the truck (see photo.) I know I will need it to get detailed, but could I spray it with water?? What will a detailer do to get in those areas? I am so worried because of how much sugar milk has - nevermind the putrid smell. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231001_193154.jpg
    20231001_193154.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231002_122703.jpg
    20231002_122703.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231002_122710.jpg
    20231002_122710.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231002_122726.jpg
    20231002_122726.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 39

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used a hot-water carpet cleaning unit to clean spills such as this (Hoover makes one with an upholstery hose and nozzle that works well).

Milk will curdle and spoil quickly, causing a smelly mess.

You’re in a hot location - get the carpet cleaning unit (some stores rent them) and start cleaning. The carpet should dry in the sun.

OP
OP
C

chelseamc

Reaction score
Thanks and yes, San Antonio, TX.

I feel like I can handle the carpet part, but I'm wondering how to get to the areas underneath that are part of the body of the truck. The light gray area that you can see in the photos along wth the area underneath the black plastic... I wonder if I could hose that area down.

Thanks again!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks and yes, San Antonio, TX.

I feel like I can handle the carpet part, but I'm wondering how to get to the areas underneath that are part of the body of the truck. The light gray area that you can see in the photos along wth the area underneath the black plastic... I wonder if I could hose that area down.

Thanks again!

I’d be leery of hosing down the area - unless I could remove the plastic part and mop-up the fluid, or allow it to drain?

Perhaps remove the fasteners for the dark gray plastic and see if it lifts out, so you could clean under it?

K-Clive

Reaction score
I did this with my Dodge pickup truck, in the cab - I used the garden hose first to fill the truck with as much water as possible with the dorrs open and watched the white water drain out until it became clear. It's not a matter of water maybe causing a problem, milk will cause electrical problems and make your truck such a stinking mess you won't drive it. After the water runs clear, it can take quite a while, go at it with a wetvac and then carpet cleaner. I did this for really bad salt from winter boots in the carpet and wheel wells of my Subaru wagon. Same deal, soaked the carpets and floors, wheelwells, wetvac and then carpet cleaner. It works really well and does not harm anything. You already have baking soda in it, it will all mix in the water and help kill the smell. I parked the vehicles nose up the incline of the driveway thinking there were more drains towards the back... not sure if that's true but, in both cases it worked really well for me and no issues. It's like a can of Coke in a computer keyboard, remove power and drop in a bathtub full of water, the Coke will kill it, the water won't. Using that thinking, you might disconnect the battery to avoid the obvious electrical issues. Park the car doors open in the sun and make sure it gets good and dry. I hope this helps!

DoubleAction

Reaction score
Use a diluted bleach and water solution. Same thing happened to me. It will neutralize it in time. Just spray it in the milk area and mop up what you can. Don’t worry about the spots you can’t reach it will dry up in a couple days.