Gas overflow filling at pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EL Trucko

Reaction score
So- I found a 2012 post on this with no real answers and I'm looking for some updated information about this:

'07 EB EL, Go to the gas station- any pump..
at about 3/4 or so full, the nozzle trips off and then pressurized fuel spews/sprays/erupts/regurgitates/vomits (you pick description) from the fuel tank stem.
-Different positions of the nozzle in the stem during filling does not change the result.
-The remaining volume of the tank can be filled at a trickle rate. But those last 8 gallons or so can take forever (like literally 15 minutes!) at the slow rate. So I usually just leave the station with 3/4 tank. But going on roadtrips I want to maximize the range of the truck with a full tank without wasting time trickling gas into the tank.

-I figured it was just a clogged/damaged vent on the stem but I called the dealer about it and he said it could be several different issues and wants $110 just to test it!!!
-I've seen multiple complaints about this but no solutions. Anyone else deal with this better than just not filling up more than 3/4 tank?

Thanks.
2007 Eddie Bauer EL 4x2
added Grill Guard but waiting on Aux lights to post pic
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
1996 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8/Towing
Waiting on my 1st Gen Bronco (my retirement truck!)

Last edited: