Gear Vendors Under/Over-drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pohoda

Reaction score
I am thinking about possibly getting a gear vendor put on my 05 Expy (if it will work). Has anyone done this? I use the Expy primarily to pull my 23' Toy Hauler and am trying to get better gas mileage and closer ratios for the uphill climbs.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is an interesting thought..... You would have to relocate the speed sensor to the output of the gear vendors unit, but I don't see why it won't work other than that.... I have a feeling that you won't be able to use the OD when pulling the trailer however because the engine would loaded too much and causing a drop in mileage..... Not towing could see an increase in gas mileage at 65 MPH and higher though. I don't know where the "happy spot" is on the new 3 valve motor, but the 2001-2004 motors like to cruise at 1500-1700 RPMS (based on vacuum readings).
Matt

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
When I called them about it they basically said as long as it is the AOD/4R70 or the E40D/4R100 tranny it should work but I do not know what tranny we have. Here is their site which shows significant gains and says that OD works as well. http://www.gearvendors.com/f2wd4s.html . Any thoughts?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the 3.73 ratio in your exped you would only gain mileage in OD when unloaded, OD when loaded would be useless since you wouldn't be able to maintain speed easily. The UD function would be helpful for pulling though as the 3 valve lacks the sheer bottom end of the older 2 valve motor..... You should have the 4R70W or whatever they are calling it now......
Matt

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
Originally posted by smo0othride
Pretty expensive mod for only 30 - 40 hp. Just spend a little bit more and buy a supercharger.

I am certainly willing to entertain a SC. Any recommendations on what to go with. I can't seem to find a lot of info for SCs on the 3V engines. This company does them for up to 04 http://www.allenengine.com/Expedition/03-04.html but they are pretty pricey. Can I just get the Harley or Lightning SC from Ford? What would it cost me roughly to SC my 05? Thanks for your suggestions.

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback Matt. It seems the SC may be the better bang for the buck. Did you install yours on your own? If so would you do it again in hindsight?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A supercharger is a great upgrade. Roush has one for your truck that doesn't void emissions. If you are not great with tools and mechanic skills then I would recommend having a shop do it for you. It is pricey for a supercharger, but HP per Dollar is one of the lowest of any upgrade.....
Matt

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
I checked out Roush but they seem to sell the kit for the F-150 only. I realize it is the same engine but I have concerns about fitment for the intercooler and also the PCM being the same. I went to the ford parts website and see a SC retrofit kit coming soon that is for the 04-06 Expy's. Check it out http://www.fordracingparts.com/superchargers/superchargers.asp. That seems promising.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett