Gearing options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey y'all, so my in laws recently purchased a 28ft travel trailer weighing in at 6500 loaded that we borrowed this weekend and towed over Snoqualmie and Blewitt passes.
We can borrow it anytime and certainly intend to but my truck is not liking it. 2nd gear barely starts to bog down below 45-50 and after that torque band is gone she slows way down until I have to hit 1st and keep popping back and forth between the two.

Seems quite safe as I've set the hitch up correctly but she falls on her face up stew grades to the tune of needing 1st gear occasionally. I don't want to buy a new truck and don't have the money to do I'm exploring other options.

I currently run 285/70r17's with 3.55lsd gearingand have 5.4l and 4x4. The truck is in wonderful condition and I'd hate to get rid of it!

So what might my options be? Looks like highest gear available stock is 3.73, but would that make much of a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.73 if you want new gears out of a junkyard, but 4.10 or 4.30 or 4.56 would also work.

I have 4.56 and 33" tires on my Explorer. It's a great combo. I may regear my Expedtion with 4.56 as well.

Also, remove your intake tube so you can see your throttle plate. Have an assistant push the gas pedal down as far as it will go. If the throttle plate isn't horizontal, the throttle cable has stretched a little. You can take up the slack at the top of the gas pedal with zip ties or lead fishing weights or whatever else you can come up with.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whats the logic behind changing gearing? Whats the effect?

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never had it in overdrive, but thanks for the input!

I'm wondering if 3.73's would make much of a difference to make it worth the effort actually...

Changing fearing is effectively lowering the ratio (or raising?) in order to make the transmission turn more times in relation to the wheels which makes more torque.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are matching gear sets available for the front diff as well?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. The 8.8 (front) is a popular axle. The 9.75 (rear) is also a popular (and stout) axle. Lots to choose from.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently only 4.10's and 4.56's are available to match both together, in wondering if the 4.10's would be a better all around bet due to my desire to tow and not be crazy high rpm on the highway. What does your explorer run at freeway speeds?

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
The easiest way to change gearing is to go with a smaller diameter wheel/tire combo. Going with a LT245/75/16 will give you a 6.7% smaller diameter, giving you more than an effective 3.73 gear ratio.

If you don't want to run those tires all the time just pick up a spare set for towing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
Whats the logic behind changing gearing? Whats the effect?
Gears multiple power. 3.73 gears will give you more power at the wheel than 3.55. the downside is you run the engine at a higher speed on the freeway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk