Gen1 Sync v4.4 update - new problems introduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was having a problem, that is all over the internet, where after a few weeks of playing music via USB, you would get a playlist error "Invalid Playlist Format" from Sync. You would have to remove the device and resync with your music app to get Ford Sync to reindex, and then it would work again; until it broke about 2 weeks later. Lather, rinse, repeat. Same thing over and over. Frustrating.

Anyway, I was very excited to see a Sync update available the other week, v4.4. In hindsight, I wish I waited to see how others made out with it, but I upgraded, and I wish I could roll back.

First, the playlist problem still exists, but now I have a slew of other issues I didn't have before, such as:

1. When playing music from a USB thumb drive, music play does not pause while voice controls are in use, so when music resumes, you are not where you left off. You can't hear the music, it just doesn't pause. This works fine for bluetooth streaming however. This was not an issue before v4.4.

2. Bluetooth connection is slower now, and causes some audio to be cut off. For example. Phone is connected via bluetooth. Using Google Maps on the phone, whenever Google Maps announces a direction it establishes a "call" and the phone app comes up on Sync. By the time the connection/call is established, Google, or any other app for that matter, is 1/2 way through it's statement. So instead of hearing "Turn right in 400 feet onto Maple St" you likely hear "feet onto Maple Street". Or if it's a short announcement, you miss it entirely.

3. Disconnecting a Bluetooth call now takes longer than 3 seconds. I'd say you have to hold the phone button 4-5 seconds to end the call now.

4. When Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone running iOS 8.3, you have the option to click "Shuffle" but it does nothing. Would be better if it is not an option.

5. When Bluetooth streaming from an iPhone running ios 8.3, the system displays "pause" then "play" then "pause" and "play" again over and over, directly above the artist name. It's like the system doesn't know what the play status is of the BT device.

6. "Invalid Playlist Format" error still happens with M3U playlists after a while.

7. With incoming texts, all show "unknown" as who they are from and the wrong received date and time information.

8. All of sudden, after having update installed for 2 weeks, it's now telling me my phone doesn't support text messaging over BT, even though it sort of worked the last 2 weeks (see issue 7).

9. And I may be wrong, but I think the voice recognition got worse (this one is less based in fact).

Anyway, for others that have upgraded, are you seeing these issues? Maybe you haven't noticed them, but are? Could you check? I am so pissed. I love technology, and spent a ton of money on this decked out truck, but this stupid stuff is just ruining my experience.

Interested to hear what others are getting out of this.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just found out Bout the update last night and updated. The only thing I tested was the Bluetooth track and song info display. But I'll watch out for the issues you presented. I should add that I have a 2011 and upgraded from 3.2.2. For those who don't know about the update, the following is what Ford says it will do.

What's included in this update?
DR3T-14D544-AF SYNC v4.4
Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output
Media Connectivity Improvements:
Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle
2010-2013 Basic SYNC and SYNC with MyFord (without Voice-Activated Navigation)
The v4.4 software update will add AppLink, in addition to improved quality updates, for 2010-2013 model year customers without Voice-Activated Navigation (who do not already have AppLink).

2010-2014 SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation
This software will provide improved quality updates only for 2010-2014 model year customers who have Voice-Activated Navigation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be curious to know. I'd say out of all of them now, as I've gotten used to it, the fact that bluetooth connection for phone calls/audio from apps like Waze and Google has that delay is the most annoying. Second in the list would be how long it takes to disconnect a call. I feel like I'm holding the phone button for 4-5 seconds now.

What I can say though, is that I think using playlists with the ASX format eliminates the issue with corrupt playlists, so that's at least good news. Granted that may have been fine on the earlier versions. I didn't try ASX until this new version of Sync was installed.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, one day with it. I really like the Bluetooth display of artist and song. However, there is a delay as you described with NAV from my iPhone 5S (tested with Waze). I also don't experience BT audio automatically restarting after returning to the truck. I don't experience the pause play as you described. SMS text didn't work but I probably need to check the settings.

OP
OP
S

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I primarily use USB for media/audio, not USB, so not sure if BT doesn't resume. I find it stays on USB and picks up where I left off.

As for the lack of pausing, it only does it with a USB media source. If you are listening to media on USB, and then activate voice instructions, when you are done with voice, you'll find the music never paused in the background and has advanced in real time. With BT audio, it does pause...

As for texting, with an iPhone, it's spotty. The notifications work now, which is good, so I hear when I get a text through the radio, but it shows every message as from "UNKNOWN" on the display. Worthless really. And you cannot reply with an iPhone to a text using voice commands, or even the on screen display.