General Grabber tires on brand new 22 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the tire of choice then for all
Those who don’t like the grabbers ? Michelin LTX?

I have continued using the stock General Grabbers. Have about 12k miles now. No issues with traction even in heavy snow. Although have not obviously had a chance to test sound level with another brand tire.

Plan to ride it out till 30k miles and then switch to Michelin or Continental; which are the ones in my other German luxury vehicles.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have over 8500 miles now on my 2023 with the stock grabbers. Some hydroplaning in very heavy rain (not unexpected based on the amount of water that was on the road) but other than that the tires have been better than expected. 304a Limited, so extra wide tires (285 45 22's) which makes them more prone to the hydroplaning. I ordered the vehicle and it was delivered less than a month after being built, so no long periods of sitting.

I do plan to refit 275/65 18s with LT 10 ply tires since most of my driving is towing a camper. I don't think any standard 22" tire would be enough of an improvement over these for that use to justify throwing them out. I will likely save them to reinstall when it is time to sell the truck, likely with about 12,000 miles on them.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reviving an older thread, but at first I was disappointed that my 2023 limited SPP came with Grabbers. After about 2k miles, they are quiet, comfortable and seem to do the trick just fine. As others have stated, I will keep the Grabbers for a while and see what comes. There is still not a huge amount of choice in this tire size but some obvious quality replacements. Replacing these tires now is just another $1k dump after the huge vehicle purchase price.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
@NevadaGeo I agree. I disliked them very much in the beginning but now it's just a meh. After running 18s in the winter for 2 years I think my issue isn't with the Grabbers but rather the wheel size. A bit of sidewall goes a long way to improve ride comfort.

Flathead40

Reaction score
I would say the Generals are ok but not great. They ride like crap but part of that is due to being a 22”, but I’d say traction and road noise have been decent. We got about 18k on them and the treadwear seems ok, but feels like one might be starting to go out of balance. My plan is to downsize to 20” wheels and a set of Michelin defenders when the time comes for tires. We live on gravel streets and have a lot of gravel roads and 22” wheels are just not good for that kind of duty. I just wish they would make a Timberline in the Max. I see a lot of Z71 Suburbans running around here.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was surprised by the lack of choice in tire size with the 4th gens of the upper trim levels. I like a vehicle worthy of offroad travel and when I began Expy shopping, I learned the only wheel size option was 22" for what I was looking for. The Expeditions we used in mountainous geologic work in the day are now marketed as mighty road warriors (sans the Timberline). Being semi-retired, I like the road warrior aspect of the SPP HO with the 22" wheels since they were just way too cool!

OP
OP
W

wannabeMtb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am the OP and I too have kept them. It has about 18k miles on it now. After the initial disappointment with a no-name brand tire, it has been decently good in practice. Have been to heavy snow areas many many times in them and they had good grip. Road noise is ok. Will change them when the time comes. But not planning to dump them anytime. Tread is still good and I don't see any uneven wear.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a new 22 model year Expedition a month back. Have put about 1200 miles in the vehicle. I just noticed that the stock tires are from an unreliable brand - General Grabber.

What are my options to get it replaced with a more premium brand like say Michelin?

Is there some shop where I can sell it for a discount ?

Will the ford dealer take it back by any chance ?
I have Michelin Defender LTX on my Expedition. For me, nothing beats this tire for the ride and longevity.
And for what it's worth, General is NOT a NO NAME tire, but rather a quality tire. Motor Trend gave them a 10, after putting them through a rigorous test.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had absolutely no issues with my grabbers. 30k on mine and I have the 22’s. I would definitely prefer more sidewall but on the Highway they have been good.