Getting ready to take a trip...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
Getting ready to take the first long trip in my new to me expy, i am very nervous for some reason. I guess its from reading about all of the spark plug failures, and misc. other things that could happen. it has 158,000 miles and it was just Maryland safety inspected, and me being a mechanic, has been gone over from top to bottom. Its about 700 miles round trip, am i right to be worried, mostly about the spark plug issue?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have to worry about that with mine(they don't come out for me), but you should be ok. I wouldn't worry.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being worried keeps you on top of maintenance! Im sure you will have a great trip!

OP
OP

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
Its just my first time owning a ford product, and reading about all of the little quirks these things have, mine has had most, exhaust manifold gasket, lower ball joints, blend door, odometer inop. just wondering if the spark plug is next, lol.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah they have their problems like every automobile! But for the most part they are the most reliable suv imo! There are a lot for sale that are still running with well over 300,000! My dads F250 6.8 has 370,000 with no problems at all!

OP
OP

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
how many of you guys have actually had to deal with a plug coming out of the head?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did, but if I had paid attention to the ticking exhaust note before hand, I would have caught it. I've driven long trips down to USA and no problems.. if the spark plug things happens it happens, sucks but no point worrying about somthing that might happen.

OP
OP

350jeepcj5

Reaction score
I did, but if I had paid attention to the ticking exhaust note before hand, I would have caught it. I've driven long trips down to USA and no problems.. if the spark plug things happens it happens, sucks but no point worrying about somthing that might happen.

quoted for truth!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I got mine... Travel to the outerbanks yearly from MD. After the first trip and few thousand miles never really concerned me anymore.

I replaced my spark plugs when I first got mine. Against the norm here I do use anti sieze compound. But I think of it more as an anti corrosive than lubricant. The way I look at it is I can't afford to have the few threads that are there corrode, gall or pit in anyway. I have seen enough steel bolts, plugs, etc... damage the aluminum threads when removed when not treated. But....just my opinion.

Get AAA if you dont already have it.. :)

Last edited: