Going to tow for the first time in my life. Did I buy everything I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Complete towing newbie here so apologies if this is too simplistic a question, but we are renting a 4200 lb travel trailer and I want to be sure I have all the parts I need. we have the regular (non-tow package) Expy.

The rental place says they will supply a weight distribution hitch.

I plan to buy:

-2” hitch ball (do you recommend a ball that moves up and down or is a fixed-height one a better idea?)

-Trailer brake controller (any thoughts on which is best?)

Anything else?

Thank you!

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have listed all you really need, I prefer an adjustable hitch in case you want to tow other trailers that might have a different nose height from your new trailer. Just remember the trailer always takes a sharper turn than the towing vehicle, so you have to make every bend wide so the trailer does not hit the curb, and it takes a lot longer to stop!! Take your time and be cautious the first few times and you should do great, also remember to correctly setup the brake controller when you start your trip. If you only have one trailer you can pretty much set it up and forget it, but if you tow different trailers or the weight of your trailer changes a lot, you will want to setup the controller on each trip.. Have fun and don't forget trailers are very prone to catching side winds and will move the towing vehicle from side to side, if this happens gently slow down, do NOT jump on the brakes..

BFD350

Reaction score
Good advice above. Make sure the rental company tells you the right size ball. Any chance they supply the ball mount and ball? Do they have a checklist?

Adjustable or fixed mounts depend on whether you’ll rent the same trailer or is this a one time item and cost is more important than flexibility? To find the right rise or drop for the mount you have to measure to the top of the hitch, and the bottom of the trailer coupler when the trailer is level. The difference between them is the rise (if trailer is higher than the hitch) or drop (if the trailer is lower than the hitch). Fixed mounts generally come in 2” drop increments. Mounts can be rotated from drop to rise you just have to rotate the ball OR buy them separate and install the ball. But note you have to torque it pretty high and need an impact wrench or hand wrenches to fit the nut.

A weight distribution hitch will have a different ball mount than “standard” and must match the brand/style on the trailer. WD hitches use bars that move some of the tongue weight to the front axle of the trailer and the rear axle of the toe vehicle. The rental place should give you info on that and more reason they should provide the ball mount too.

At 4200 lbs do you need WD? I tow a boat trailer that is ~5800 lbs without WD with my Expedition and with a Sequoia before that.

Another ball mount consideration is whether the trailer comes with an anti-sway bar. That’s typically a bar that mounts on a small ball on the trailer and a 2nd small ball on the vehicle ball mount. You tighten it with a handle and that sandwiches a metal bar in-between two other metal bar and that friction accounts for sway. On my boat trailer I can’t use it because of the angle of the trailer tongue. I tried using it but would bend the anti-sway bar. But I get hardly any sway with my Expedition compared to the Sequoia.

Since you’re asking about a brake controller I assume you don’t have the tow package. My two Fords both have factory brake controllers but in the past I used Tekonsha controllers for my vehicles. They even make connectors that will plug into the vehicle so no special wiring is needed. But I don’t know if the Expedition has that female port on it.

I would validate what the rental place will supply and then make a call to etrailer.com and they can help you with the times above. They are really knowledgeable. Their pricing is ok, some items you can find cheaper on Amazon if you have part numbers.

Sorry for the long post. Be safe, make wife turns and go slow. Don’t let the other drivers intimidate you. Once you get past all the stuff above and a little experience towing you will see that it’s enjoyable to get an RV to neat places. Expedition is a great tow vehicle.

2018 Expedition Platinum
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always like to carry a jack, tire gauge, spare tire and lug wrench for what ever I’m towing. Most camp trailers and boats will have a spare tire. Because the Expy jack and lug wrench may not fit the towed trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seconded. Make sure you have everything you need to change a tire. I carry two bottle jacks, leveling blocks, fix a flat, and a battery powered air compressor. Make sure you have what you need for the tires on your tow vehicle as well.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally feel you do not need a WDH for that light of a camper. I would get an adjustable height draw bar so you can set it to have the trailer level, or a little lower in the front. Make sure of the ball size needed, it may be a 2", but it may be 2 5/16". Get a good plug and play brake controler, one that is not time based, but proportional instead. Dont forget wheel chocks and leveling blocks if not included with the rental. Some clamp on towing mirrors is a good idea as well.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure you really examine your vehicle's attitude when fully loaded.

Remember people, full tank of gas, weight in the hatch, etc. will further squat your vehicle and how you load the trailer too. It is a science that really has a remarkable effect on safety, handling, and fuel mileage.

Nothing drives me more crazy when you see the tow vehicle dragging its bumper with the nose ready for takeoff. The front wheels are where all driving, braking, etc. happens and now they are unloaded. Scary...

Also consider a plug kit, make sure your tire compressor is truck tire rated and/or you may not want to go cheap on it. A LOT of compressors barely have the Wheaties to fully pump a passenger tire from 0-35 psi, let alone a truck or trailer tire.

Watch your rear tire pressure and realize every 10 degrees of ambient generally equals a pound/two of tire pressure. You may find your self a few pounds shy in the morning, and later in the day lowering by a few pounds. I like to keep my rear tires at around 40 lbs when towing, and even when they are hot don't like them above max listed cold pressure (peace of mind issue for me).

Tow safe-YMMV.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Saw this PSA the other day*...

Ended up running into him at the gas station later (pregnant wife) and he was unquestionably way over payload as the whole back of the truck was full of stuff and pretty sure had 3 kids. You are already way ahead of the curve for having a proper tow vehicle...

*In Mexico*

There is a lot of great info and tips here. You are going to be waaaay better off than 90% of first timers. Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes!

20200630_075631.jpg

Last edited: