got front end noise in an 08

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave91gt

Reaction score
Had the dealer replace the IWE solenoid and still have the same noise.
Just bought this 08 EB a month ago. Everything is good until roughly between 40-60 mph. In 2wd it sounds like something in the left front is turning that shouldnt be. If put in 4X4 auto it gets quieter. Same with 4X4 high. I immediately thought IWE stuff and did the solenoid first. That wasnt it. I jacked the left front up and the tire was locked in like it should be. Started the motor in 2WD and the tire freewheels like it should. I reached in and locked it in 4X4 and it locked up. Back to 2WD and it released. It doesnt sound like a bearing noise, rather a noise like a solid axle feels when you have the hubs locked in. Could the IWE itself make noise even when disengaged?

OP
OP
D

dave91gt

Reaction score
Last night I crawled under the X with a vacuum pump. Checked both IWE's. Pumped both up to 20 or so and they both held. The drivers side lost about 1 lb after over a minute. The pass side 1/2 or so. That should confirm the IWE's are good, correct? Both vacuum lines had good suction with the engine running.

ericnyce

Reaction score
Same problems here. I changed the actuator and nothing. Everything holds vacuum. All hubs changed and nothing changed. Thinking its a cv axle or the diff. Good luck!

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try one more test... From the IWE solenoid, vacuum test the larger of the 2 tubes, this will disengage both hub actuators.

If this is solid then there maybe a vacuum leak beyond the check value, an area between the IWE and intake manifold.

Cheers :)