Green Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Hey guys I noticed my 06 Expedition was a little low on coolant so I added about half gallon of prediluted 50/50 Zerex Original formula to it. After I did it I read the bottle and noticed it said for 2002 Ford vehicles and older. It is a low silicate formula.

I now realize I should have bought the gold stuff to top it off.

Should I do a coolant flush?
Or is it ok to mix these?
Or is it a small enough amount that I shouldn’t worry?

Thanks in advance

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With orange/green, I'd say replace immediately as they have been reported to turn to gel/sludge when mixed. With gold/green, you're probably ok, but I'm with stamp and would replace to be on the safe side.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you used Zerex G-05 that is what Ford recommends for “gold coolant”..... (Ford used Zerex coolant and stamped Motorcraft on the bottle).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the ones that said flush out coolant. It might blend, but what if it doesn't. Sure hate to see you having to replace a motor due to overheating!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
System holds 5.25 gallons, or 21 quarts.

You added about a half gallon premix, which equals 1 quart of water and 1 quart the wrong stuff. Less than 5%.

I wouldn't worry a bit.

mybadford

Reaction score
This is interesting. I have an 03 with green Antifreeze in it. It was built in 02 though. I went to get new antifreeze from the dealership and they said the early 03 had green. Iv'e been flushing the system with drain and fill with Distilled water procedure. After the fourth time I was getting all clear back out of it when draining. I could only get 4 gallons at best from each time I drained it. Has a 28 quart system. Ford doesn't sell a straight antifreeze. Everything is mixed 50/50 from Ford.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
The coolant in my 05 is green, it's been that way for over a year, no issues to report back

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The previous owner put in what I believe is long life red in my 2000. It works so well I don't touch it. When its time due to a hose, or dreaded intake leak, I'll flush and go back to green. I do like the long life part of red though! I wonder if our friend that did his full rebuild of his first edition Lincoln Navigator about a month back, had the previous owner mixed coolant. Remember the horrible sludge he had in the intake valley? Probably due to mixing coolant.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score