Grinding sound after startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Ford

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, So glad I found this group! I’ve got a new to me 2007 Expedition EL. 130k miles. I’m getting a grinding noise after I start it. I’ve turned of mf my fans, ac etc. I’ve uploaded a video. Please help! The sound is absolutely horrible and sounds like something really bad is happening. Sound starts at 30 seconds in the video. Thanks in advance everyone!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear it. Can you explain what you did just before it happened? I heard you clicking buttons. Doesn’t sound engine related sounds like it may be climate control related. You don’t have air suspension do you?

OP
OP
T

Tom Ford

Reaction score
This sounds silly but I’m actually not sure if I do have air suspension...

As for the clicking of buttons. I was turning the fans off.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a compressor to me, some Expedition and Navigators were available with rear air suspension. A compressor controls it and will turn on to raise the rear up slightly when you get in and start it or put in drive.

OP
OP
T

Tom Ford

Reaction score
I actually just checked and sure enough I do have air suspension. I’ve turned it off for now to see if it’s indeed the cause of the noise. Will test and report back.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I actually just checked and sure enough I do have air suspension. I’ve turned it off for now to see if it’s indeed the cause of the noise. Will test and report back.
If you hear the noise again open the drivers door and see if it stops. The air suspension will only run of all the doors are closed so opening the door will make the compressor stop immediately

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sometimes as they age, they get a little noisy. Not a big deal to change them. Where does Ford fit a compressor on the Expeditions?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that explains why part of the air springs fill procedure on my 89 Lincoln was open driver door, then shut with key on. Reminded me of doing the hokey pokey.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Sometimes as they age, they get a little noisy. Not a big deal to change them. Where does Ford fit a compressor on the Expeditions?
1st get are under the hood front passanger side. Easy swap

3rd gen behind the passanger side headlight and bumper cover. Still a pretty easy swap