Groaning noise in front.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted about this before but I can’t find it. It’s like my account was wiped.

Anyway I wanted to give an update. I have a very intermittent groaning sound coming from the front. It kinda sounds like a tire rub but it’s definitely not. I was finally able to take it to my mechanic and he said it was coming from the front differential. Apparently there It some internal bearings starting to go bad. He said he would also replace the axel seals and Eric shaft seals.

Anyone else experience this?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Anyway I wanted to give an update. I have a very intermittent groaning sound coming from the front. It kinda sounds like a tire rub but it’s definitely not. I was finally able to take it to my mechanic and he said it was coming from the front differential. Apparently there It some internal bearings starting to go bad. He said he would also replace the axel seals and Eric shaft seals.

Do you drive it in auto 4wd much? Have you ever checked the fluid level in there?

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's very unusual and the front diffs are said to very rarely go bad on these, as they are disconnected when not in use (plus those units are tough as nails, apparently).

What is the mileage on the truck, do you use the 4x4 a lot and have you ever changed fluid in the front diff? If you don't feel like investing in it (rebuilding diffs can get expensive), you could try a scrap yard front diff off an F150, etc... or just drive it in 2x4 mode and leave it.

Personal observation: when I changed the front diff fluid on mine last summer, it looked gunmetal grey and was smelly, indicating that it was definitely worn and due for a change. I bought the truck used though (ex-cop truck from up North), so I have no idea how often it was driven in 4x4. All the time, perhaps... truck had 132k miles on it.

Also, the 80W90 that's in there from the factory is a non-synthetic type fluid. I changed mine for 75W90 synthetic, for longer service life. I also upgraded to a magnetic fill plug to catch all the metal dust, as the Expy wasn't equipped with one.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's very unusual and the front diffs are said to very rarely go bad on these, as they are disconnected when not in use (plus those units are tough as nails, apparently).

What is the mileage on the truck, do you use the 4x4 a lot and have you ever changed fluid in the front diff? If you don't feel like investing in it (rebuilding diffs can get expensive), you could try a scrap yard front diff off an F150, etc... or just drive it in 2x4 mode and leave it.

Personal observation: when I changed the front diff fluid on mine last summer, it looked gunmetal grey and was smelly, indicating that it was definitely worn and due for a change. I bought the truck used though (ex-cop truck from up North), so I have no idea how often it was driven in 4x4. All the time, perhaps... truck had 132k miles on it.

Also, the 80W90 that's in there from the factory is a non-synthetic type fluid. I changed mine for 75W90 synthetic, for longer service life. I also upgraded to a magnetic fill plug to catch all the metal dust, as the Expy wasn't equipped with one.
The auto 4wd spins the axles all the time and Ford uses regular oil because it's more than capable up there. My Excursion could get water in the front diff easily from driving through creeks etc but I don't know about these since they are new to me. Otherwise they will last forever with normal use. The rear diff is used a thousand times more and I would bet you could use used motor oil in the front diff for the life of the car with no problem.

Last edited:

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You posted your other thread in the 4th Gen section

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/groaning-noise-coming-from-the-front.42453/

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. My mechanic (who I trust) said he checks the fluid every time he services my expy. He heard the noise with a stethoscope while diagnosing it. I had him change the line in the front two years ago. He said he used full synthetic. He also said since I have All wheel drive the differential is in use all the time regardless of whether I’m in 4x4. (Like 07navi said).

My real question is, we’re planning a trip of about 1500 miles or so. And I’m trying to decide if I should take a chance and use my Expy? My option is my daughters 2105 Kia Sedona.

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry about posting my first question in the wrong section. This is the only forum I use and still learning.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This whole thing makes no sense, the gears in the diff don't turn when it is in 2wd and a mechanic that puts full synth in something that doesn't need it is...…….well

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is interesting. Please excuse my questions because I no nothing about this subject. At All! So to be sure, I can select either 2wd, all wheel, 4wd high, or 4wd low plus traction control. But if I have it in 2wd the front differential isn’t used? Thats what I thought but I haven’t been keeping up with the new technology and thought it might have changed.