FRONT HUBS CHATTER? 2H - 4A STOPS THE NOISE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
Thanks Gents, I'm armed and dangerous!

Time to find that sucker and give it the old what for!

JohnA

Reaction score
What part are you replacing? Firewall solenoid? IWE? Transfer case switch? All are available w/simple search @RockAuto, but I would try to isolate the problem before throwing 'loonies' at it, IMHO. John

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
i bought the solennoid and installed, the check valve is ordered and on the way.
1st test drive, going 6 hours pulling a trailer, about 2 hrs into it, the hubs started as per usual.
Switching to 4A stops the noise and after about 2 minutes to let it settle each time switched back to 2H.
It repeated the behaviour many times, on uphills, and after a few more hours it stopped.
This is the normal sequence of events for my Expedition.

Looks like I have a good, used solenoid in stock.
I will try the check valve next.

Thank for you thoughts and input.

Cheers Clive

OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
Replaced the check valve and it was full of rust dust.
I could see the ends of the tubes in the rubber fittings had rust colour so, I cacked open the check valve.
It has a rubber diaphram inside and seemed able to stop flow one way...it was full of red dust and I imagaine that is stopping
it from working properly. I will see on my next long trip how it reacts.

Cheeers

bman440440

Reaction score
Here is a photo of the solenoid and the check valve on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

The solenoid snaps into the bracket with no tools (the electrical connector is the top gray one). The check valve is off white and blue (plugs in-line with the vacuum lines).

It is mounted on the firewall on the driver side, adjacent to the brake booster.
I have an 08 EB and mind does not seem to be in the same place and I think i need to replace my check valve... can anybody show me where my check valve is??

Last edited:
OP
OP
K-Clive

K-Clive

Reaction score
I have a positive result... the check valve fixed the problem.
So fo $90-$100 I have diagnosed and fixed the issue with the vacuum front hubs.
So the question now is: where is the rust dust coming from? Is this normal? Can I control the dust somehow or do I just replace the check valve when it chokes on the dust?

Start with the cheapest part 1st: Check Valve!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a positive result... the check valve fixed the problem.
So fo $90-$100 I have diagnosed and fixed the issue with the vacuum front hubs.
So the question now is: where is the rust dust coming from? Is this normal? Can I control the dust somehow or do I just replace the check valve when it chokes on the dust?

Start with the cheapest part 1st: Check Valve!

I’ve replaced the check valve on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 several times (purchased new) - no rust or dust in the valve.

Some time ago, Ford issued a TSB that stated to change the check valve if there was front hub noise (and not to test it - simply change it).