growling noise in front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly Brandon

Reaction score
I have a 2003 EB 4wd, in 2wd started getting a growling noise while braking about 5 ft from complete stop, it only does it in the last 5 ft while braking, no noise while driving or turning either side it sounds like hub bearings almost or the abs pump, no abs light on it has had new rotors and pads replaced about 500 miles ago, no play in bearings when brakes were done, the noise seems to be increasing the past few days, I'm thinking hub bearings but have never had them sound like this so I'm not positive, anyone experienced this before? have looked through other threads but all I have found show ABS light on I don't have any lights or indicators

Plati

Reaction score
I'd suspect caliper. May be something else.

Do you have an infrared thermometer. If there's any dragging in the brake system ... measuring rotor temp is an easy way to detect it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/thermometers/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

I use it for bunch of applications. Both front rotors should be close in temp. Bathtub set to 105 before I get in and burn my feet. Can measure my smoker outside without leaving the kitchen. Best way to see if CATS are working right. Find heat loss in insulation systems. Etc.

Last edited:

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both of my front hubs/wheel bearings started growling earlier this year, so you may be due for that, but it definitely got a little worse in turns which is different than what you are experiencing..
Were the big caliper clips reinstalled correctly? Do you see a wear mark on the inside of the wheel where the caliper may be dragging on the wheel? Is one wheel/rotor hotter than the others after driving like MrSticker is asking?

OP
OP
Kelly Brandon

Kelly Brandon

Reaction score
all the hardware was installed correctly, no wear marks on rotors, i will check with temp gun and see if there is a caliper dragging

OP
OP
Kelly Brandon

Kelly Brandon

Reaction score
hub bearings maybe on the way out, just never heard them sound like this on other vehicles, mostly worse when turning either side typically

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65